1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Can the '83 bikes (elec. tach) drive a mech tach?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by tosoutherncars, May 1, 2014.

1. tosoutherncars

tosoutherncars Member

Hi Y'all,

I had asked sorta the opposite question HERE, but perhaps I'm going at this backward.

Do the '83 motors still have the port to drive a mechanical tach? Where would I look; on the front of the engine, between 2 and 3 I think I read somewhere?

My end goal is to ditch the Atari, replace it with 'traditional' dual round gauges that look vaguely stock (i.e. not LED-lit mini gauges or something similar).

TIA,
    Duncan

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

3. lacucaracha

lacucaracha Member

Not 100% sure on the port, I'm pretty sure if you look you'll either see a hole on the front of the engine, or it hasn't been drilled out. The 750 tach is electronic and looks much nicer, although they're only partial circles. I switched my 650 seca to electronic because I was tired of replacing the drive gear seal all the time. It's one less cable, too.

4. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Much more to it than a port. There is a drive gear and all its associated bushings and hardware. The earlier exhaust camshafts had a worm gear that engaged the tach drive gear, not sure it's still there on the YICS engines.

Bottom line: You're looking at a major retrofit.

5. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

If you're looking for round gauges snag a set off a YICS 550/650 Maxim. They used electronic Tachs.

6. tosoutherncars

tosoutherncars Member

Polock, I really don't like mini-gauges; and nice 4" aftermarket gauges (with wires, brackets and all assorted bobbins) would probably end up costing me about $500. I figured if a nice set of stock gauges (like those found on earlier Secas) could be retrofitted, I'd try that and save a few bucks.

Carl, if XJ550 / 650 YICS bikes use electronic tachs, it must only be certain years - almost 100% of the ones I've seen have been mechanical (see for ex: this 1983 set): http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-Yamaha-XJ5 ... 78&vxp=mtr

But then here's a set of '81 dials, looks like the tach is electronic; http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-XJ650-19 ... a0&vxp=mtr

So confused. :p Ah well, may just buy a set, start staring at wiring diagrams, and see what happens...

7. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

the '82 650 maxim has a electronic tach. there are two sets on ebay...they're expensive.

8. tosoutherncars

tosoutherncars Member

Like the one I just posted, Rocs? (almost round, flattened bottom) Or a different model?

9. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

I was wrong, the 550 maxims appear to all be mechanical.

The 82-83 650 & 750 Maxims use an electronic tach that look exactly like the round 550 ones you posted.

10. midnightmoose

midnightmoose Member

11. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

The 550 maxim tach is mechanical.

The earlier 650 maxim tach is mechanical

The later 650 and 750 techs are electrical

It's easy to tell in a pic as long as you can see the wires.... if there are wires coming from the back of the tach, it's electrical. If there is a 'speedo' type hub on the back of the tach, its mechanical.

if you want to switch to a mechanical tach, you'll have t o switch the head......that means you'll possibly have to deal with switching to non-yics , too.

12. tosoutherncars

tosoutherncars Member

Well they all have wires coming out of the back, for the lights... But yes, the electronic ones have more wires, the mech ones just have two wires for the bulb.

I've got a swap meet here in Ottawa tomorrow, first one of the season... I'll see if I can find anything appropriate there. If not, I think I'll either grab that Maxim cluster, or find an earlier XS cluster for the cans and the speedo, and swap in a modern tach.

Either way, I'll try to remember to take some photos and throw them on here - there's surely no shortage of people who would like to get rid of their 'fishfinder', what an eyesore! (And that's coming from a guy who likes the 80s stuff!)

13. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    Forget about the wiring.
    The back of the tach with have a drive hub for the mechanical tach, or no drive hub for an electric tach. The ebay link in your other post shows the mechanincal tach with drive hub.

All OEM speedos have a drive hub

WARNING!!
    Be aware that replacing the atari with a standard guage cluster will result in great fun trying to figure out why the bike will not run if the wiring to the computer is not correctly bypassed!!!

Ghost

14. tosoutherncars

tosoutherncars Member

I posted two links Ghost, which one are you talking about? Pretty sure this is the electro tach; http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-XJ650-19 ... a0&vxp=mtr

Yes, I realize that I'll have to make allowances for one or two things; the side stand sensor, etc. That said, it's not like there's a CPU to work around; just have to make sure that everything gets wired up straight.

15. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    Yes, That is the electrical tach. The other link posted showed the mechanical tach.

Actually, There is a CPU in the atari, and approx 5-6 wires that need to be bypassed correctly or the bike will not run.

Ghost

16. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

"Well they all have wires coming out of the back, for the lights... But yes, the electronic ones have more wires, the mech ones just have two wires for the bulb. "

Just like I said......

.......If there is a 'speedo' type hub on the back of the tach, its mechanical.