1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Rear fender wheel clearance..

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Ribo, May 7, 2014.

  1. Ribo

    Ribo Prefectionist

    Messages:
    998
    Likes Received:
    269
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    Hey guys,

    I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to put a Brat seat on my XJ650, the way in which the frame dog-legs up at the back and the high amount of fender that comes up makes me question how to get a brat seat done.

    I'm trying to make it so I can get a passenger on the back here... but I'm concerned if I just come straight back with the seat from the tank to a frame loop it's going to bump on the rear tyre at full bounce... any experience on this would be appreciated.
     
  2. wizard

    wizard Active Member

    Messages:
    5,282
    Likes Received:
    26
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    DEVON ENGLAND
    Can you post a picture of what you have now ?
     
  3. Ribo

    Ribo Prefectionist

    Messages:
    998
    Likes Received:
    269
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )

    Attached Files:

  4. Ribo

    Ribo Prefectionist

    Messages:
    998
    Likes Received:
    269
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    Here's a better shot if you can see this on flickr...

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/orsburnbo ... 4316451995

    The question is how much of the rear fender and internal mudguard can be shaved off and lowered without the wheel hitting it on full bounce.. to me it looks like the blue bike has had this taken off at least down to an inch about the rear frame..
     
  5. bensalf

    bensalf Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,393
    Likes Received:
    293
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    yorkshire ,england
    measure the length of travel there is on the shocks before the damper rod bottoms out,
    then add that length to the top of the tyre. that should give you the amount of clearance you have.
    if the shocks are at an angle, as in the picture, then once you have the amount of travel measured, remove the shocks and jack the swinging arm up, until the shocks would have bottomed out.
    stu
     
  6. Ribo

    Ribo Prefectionist

    Messages:
    998
    Likes Received:
    269
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    I kinda thought about that logically -- but was wondering if the shocks would ever get to full compression and what kinda clearance is best practice.
     
  7. BaldWonder

    BaldWonder Innocent Bystander

    Messages:
    847
    Likes Received:
    159
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    Oberlin, OH
    I don't have your answer, but I do have an alternative suggestion for finding out: take a ratchet strap, loop it through the wheel and over the frame, and crank it down as tight as you can.
     
  8. Ribo

    Ribo Prefectionist

    Messages:
    998
    Likes Received:
    269
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    Good idea -- thanks dude.
     
  9. Greenbike

    Greenbike Member

    Messages:
    110
    Likes Received:
    20
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Milton Keynes, England
    I did this:

    Put the bike on the centrestand.
    Measured the distance between the shock mounting centres.
    Measured the distance between the damper body top and the rubber bump stop.
    Subtracted the second measurement from the first.
    Noted the result, which is my suspension travel at the shock absorber.
    Took the shocks off and jacked up the swinging arm until the distance between the shock mounting centres equalled the result of my sum above.

    The wheel centre is further away from the swing arm pivot than the shock mounting; the wheel suspension travel is greater than the shock travel. Once the above is done, there is no more messing around with rulers and although it takes a little while, it saves time later on.

    I was doing this to allow me to install a cross brace for my home made pannier fixings. It fitted above and behind the tyre. I allowed an inch clearance, to be sure.

    By the time my wheel is at the top of its travel it is starting to move away from the cross brace, so that worked well. However, it would be a good idea in your case to take some account of the compression of the bump stop; allowing perhaps 10mm compression to produce a result 10mm shorter than the one I found, above. So the tyre would end up perhaps 11 or 12mm higher.

    How much clearance you add to this is up to you, but remember that different maker's tyres may have slightly different dimensions for the same nominal size. Don't forget about bolt heads sticking out.

    Another thing to think about, is how comfortable do you want your passenger to be? If the passenger is to be your 'other half' that's one thing. If it's the occasional friend you might not care so much. :)
     
  10. Greenbike

    Greenbike Member

    Messages:
    110
    Likes Received:
    20
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Milton Keynes, England
    I did this:

    Put the bike on the centrestand.
    Measured the distance between the shock mounting centres.
    Measured the distance between the damper body top and the rubber bump stop.
    Subtracted the second measurement from the first.
    Noted the result, which is my suspension travel at the shock absorber.
    Took the shocks off and jacked up the swinging arm until the distance between the shock mounting centres equalled the result of my sum above.

    The wheel centre is further away from the swing arm pivot than the shock mounting; the wheel suspension travel is greater than the shock travel. Once the above is done, there is no more messing around with rulers and although it takes a little while, it saves time later on.

    I was doing this to allow me to install a cross brace for my home made pannier fixings. It fitted above and behind the tyre. I allowed an inch clearance, to be sure.

    By the time my wheel is at the top of its travel it is starting to move away from the cross brace, so that worked well. However, it would be a good idea in your case to take some account of the compression of the bump stop; allowing perhaps 10mm compression to produce a result 10mm shorter than the one I found, above. So the tyre would end up perhaps 11 or 12mm higher.

    How much clearance you add to this is up to you, but remember that different maker's tyres may have slightly different dimensions for the same nominal size. Don't forget about bolt heads sticking out.

    Another thing to think about, is how comfortable do you want your passenger to be? If the passenger is to be your 'other half' that's one thing. If it's the occasional friend you might not care so much. :)
     
  11. Ribo

    Ribo Prefectionist

    Messages:
    998
    Likes Received:
    269
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    I took more of a "f***-it just wing the shit out if it" approach and can confirm the clearance is about 4 fingers... that's man hand fingers... hey I'm a professional... with a generous portion of erring on the side of caution I think I can put a small fender that arch's upto the top, level with the frame tube
     

Share This Page