1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

stuck timing chain-HELP

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Hollywood, May 16, 2014.

1. Hollywood

Hollywood New Member

I have somehow managed to get the timing chain stuck on the outside of the crank gear. All I was trying to do was swap cylinder heads. I replaced the head gasket and reassembled. Then reseated the cams and went to put the cam sprockets back on and I cannot get it to hook up to the lower sprocket on the crank. It spins, but is not on the teeth. It appears to be to the side of it. The motor is still on the bike so it is hard to see. How much do I have to take apart to get to it? Will I ruin the head gasket if I take the cylinder head off?

2. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

When this happened too me; I pulled the Head and Guides.

When I had it sorted-out,, ... I reused the Head Gasket.
    "The Book" says NEVER Re-use a Head Gasket.
    Throw the one you have in the trash and buy another new one.

I confess to having reused a Head Gasket in the past.

It came-off without a fuss.
    Both surfaces were good as new.
    Before reinstalling the Gasket I coated Both sides of the Gasket with Permatex High-Temp Spray-a-Gasket.
    Hand-painted the Block and Head Mating Surfaces with a real small brush.
    Threw the Brush and Tuna Can out when done.

Had NO problem.

http://www.pointe-products.com/product/80697-PTX

3. Hollywood

Hollywood New Member

Thanks Rick-o-Matic. I was hoping to hear that. It has only been in for a week and i did not use any permatex on it, so i should come off cleanly, You said you took out both guides. Did not know the intake side would come off.

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

STOP.

Don't pull the head. No need.

Remove the cam chain tensioner, the front chain guide (that one lifts out) and pull the cams back out; then you should have enough slack to (using mirrors, a flashlight, and a long piece of 1/4" wooden dowel rounded at the end) be able to "finagle" the chain back onto the crank sprocket.

With the cams out you'll be able to turn the motor as needed without fear of bending a valve.

Finagle away.

5. moellear

moellear Member

I apologize in advance that my response to this dead thread is more of a question, but it covers a similar topic. I'm removing the head off my 650 maxim to separate & switch engines. Currently the head is STUCK because I used "Permatex Indian Head Gasket Shellac" when I installed the head two years ago (repaired an oil leak due to cracking a corner of the head: valve covers don't require much torque lesson learned the hard way). Somebody on here recommended the shellac and now I'm regretting it. Suggestions to remove this stuck son of a gun?

6. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

I haven't had this issue but i am thinking you'll have to do it with a hot engine. Idk if using a heat source to heat the perimeter of the head/gasket/block would get the inner part of the gasket hot enough to break loose. If possible I'd ride it to bring it to full op temp. Then I'd start the tear down process wearing gloves and working fast because these engines cool down fairly quickly. Have all the necessary tools ready and get some help. Explain to the help what needs to be done and how quick you need to do it. As soon as the cap nuts are released i'd start tapping around the head with a wood block and hammer while the help pulls up on the head. Hopefully it'll break loose. Once loose use a inexpensive hand held window scraper/razor to remove the shellac. Hold the razor as flat to the surface as possible. It should peel most of the shellac off. Dress the head, get a oem gasket, don't apply...well you know. Hopefully other members will chime in with better solutions. Hope this helps.

Gary H.

7. moellear

moellear Member

Its not possible to ride it - been out of operation for 30 months. Been using a wood block and spraying Carb & Throttle cleaner in hopes of the chemical breaking down the shellac on the outside border of the head gasket but haven't gotten any closer for 2 weeks straight now. I don't know what else could help break down the shellac since its wedged between the head and cylinder jugs as tightly as any other head gasket. Ugh

Just sprayed some aircraft paint remover along the edge of the head gasket too but I'm starting to run out of ideas.

8. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

how about a hot air gun? How about a propane torch? A lot of the other chemicals will dry/evaporate too quickly

9. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Any thoughts are better than no thoughts, however, if the shellac got smudged around the locating dowels it's going to be tough trying to break them loose. Sorry, I have nothing.

Gary H.

10. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

Get a short bolt with the same size threads as your spark plug (cannot remember 12 or 14mm) and drill a hole all the way through the center of it, then thread it in order to install a grease fitting. Be sure to remove any metal swarf from the hole to prevent it from getting into your cylinder.
    Remove the cams so that all the valves are closed.
    Remove all the head bolts (although I assume you have already done this)
    Turn the crank so that both outer pistons are in roughly the same position, as high as you can get them
    Remove the outer spark plugs (#'s 1 & 4)
    Thread your grease plug into either outer cylinder
    Pump the bore full of grease. Once it is full, keep pumping and it will exert pressure on the cylinder dome, lifting the head. Don't go crazy as you don't want to lift too much on one end and bind it against the studs.
    Move the fitting to the other end, and do the same thing. If you can slip a slim wedge between the head and cylinder before releasing pressure, do so.
    Once the head is off, do your best to clean out as much of the grease from the bore if you can. Try not to spin the crank as this may allow the grease to get behind/beneath the piston rings. It will burn off, but it may cause you some problems down the road.

Caveat, normally I don't advocate putting things inside an engine that are not specifically intended to go there. However if you use a petroleum based grease this should not destroy your block. I have done this to lift heads and cylinders off of bikes before, although I then removed the entire top end and bathed everything prior to reassembly. You may be able to get away without pulling the cylinder, just clean out as much of it as you can, and remember I am just a shadetree put mechanic on the internet, and my advice is only that. It is your engine and your bike, take what risks you deem prudent.