1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake lines fitment?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by lhicks, May 27, 2014.

1. lhicks

lhicks New Member

I was wondering if someone could confirm some measurements before I order a set of spiegler stainless steel brake lines. The kit I was going to order can be found here: http://www.spieglerusa.com/brake-line-kit-1464.htm

It is a two line kit. My bike is a 1982 seca xj 650. The guys at spiegler said I should confirm the lengths before ordering and unfortunately, I am away form my bike for three weeks and would like to have this kit waiting for me when I return. I would appreciate any help.

It is a two line kit, the first hose is 850 mm centre to centre with a straight banjo fitting and a 20 degree banjo fitting

the second hose is 900 mm centre to centre with a straight banjo fitting and a 20 degree banjo fitting

The kit uses a double banjo to connect to the master cylinder

2. midnightmoose

midnightmoose Member

Personally, I'd get them from Chacal!! You know you'll get the right length and proper fitting angle for your bike, AND the whole hose assembly (fittings and all) are DOT tested/approved.

Also included is OUTSTANDING service!!!

Just my two cents...

3. BaldWonder

BaldWonder Innocent Bystander

4. lhicks

lhicks New Member

Thanks, I will email Chacal and decide from there. Does he offer colour options?

In the mean while can anyone confirm whether or not the measurements from spiegler are correct? I do like there products and colour options so I do not want to rule them out right away.

Thank you

5. BaldWonder

The braided steel itself is uncoated, but it has a plastic/rubber sheathing that comes in clear, black, bright blue (example visible on my bike thread, linked in my signature... jump to the end of page 5), and bright red.

6. lhicks

lhicks New Member

Thanks for the advice Baldwonder and midnightmose, but I am still interested in these spiegler lines. Can anyone help out with verifying the lengths?

7. BaldWonder

I think we're both on Maxims. Ironically, Chacal would probably know the lengths off the top of his head. I bet he'd even tell you, regardless of you being a customer or not.

8. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The Speigler lines are not the same as the stock configuration if they are coming off the master cylinder with two lines.

9. midnightmoose

midnightmoose Member

I misinterpreted the two line part, actually. I was thinking it was single disc, in which case two lines would be needed. If the bike has dual discs on the front then you'll need three lines. One from the master cylinder to the distribution block, and then one line to each caliper.
    I'd reconsider if you're planning on changing it to just two lines (one to each caliper) because, even though it's braided stainless, it'll still expand, moreso the longer it gets.
    But hey, it's your bike, do whatever you like to it.
    Regardless of which route you go, be sure to replace all of the copper crush washers with new ones.

10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I believe that the Speigler lines eliminate the distrubition block from the system.