1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

AFter Market Coils for XJ550 Maxim (1982)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by UK550Maxim, Jun 5, 2014.

1. UK550Maxim

UK550Maxim Member

Hi all,

I hae had issues with my coils and replaced them with second hand ones but althought these work, I am not confident about the strength of spark and they do not meet the guideline specs.

Rather than trying again with second hand ones and being dissapointed, I think I will stump up and buy new ones. Then I can tick coil off my list of problems!

I have found two after market coils available in the uk. Could someone advise if they recognize these as being ok or not?

Dynatek Dyna Coils DC4-1 2.2ohms

Spec says 2.5 ohm + or - 10%, the other dynatek model is 3 ohm but I can get the 2.2 ohm much cheaper so if they work too that would be great.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-XJ550- ... 2a14f9ced1

Many thanks

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

The 3 ohm is a sure thing. The 2.2 will work but they might be putting a strain on the tci. Lower resistance draws more current, makes more heat. The tci might not like that.
    You can add a resistor to them but that kind of just wastes power.

3. althomas101

althomas101 Member

I didn't reply because I didn't know what the specs are. I have used Honda coils with great success in the past. Like the ones off of a 91-02 CB750 Nighthawk. They are 3 ohm coils, and the reason I use them is that you can replace the wires. I use solid core wire with the NGK resistor caps. I've done this to a couple of bikes now, the most recent was my GS1000 after I replaced the points with a DynaS unit. You can pick up a set for half the cost of a Dyna or Accell coil set, just make sure the seller will test the resistance before you buy.

4. UK550Maxim

UK550Maxim Member

Cheers guys.

Some just popped up really cheap second hand so I am going to try again... third time lucky?

If I fail again I'll go for the 3ohm ones, thanks.

Actually my coil is good on one lead and the plugs are new so I think the HT lead is shot. Mine are sealed units. I can see the benefit of being to change the leads alright!