1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

A new project, the abandoned xj650RJ

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by ecologito, Dec 2, 2012.

?

After looking at the picture what would you do?

1. Replace the engine and transmission

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Replace only transmission

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sell the bike

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Take it to a shop and they can do it in no time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Yuck

2. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

After taking a poll on this forum I am leaning towards this scheme:

Attached Files:

3. hogfiddles

Now THAT is pretty sharp !

Dave

4. ecologito

I found the decals for my bike and they have been ordered:
    [​IMG]

So now that I was able to find them let's remove the old paint and get it ready for a shiny fresh coat:
    [​IMG]

This paint is tough as nails so I am going to go for the same Die Hard paint!

5. ecologito

I got my euro decals in the mail today now I need to get the tank, side panels and fenders a fresh coat of paint.

Attached Files:

6. ecologito

Yesterday I installed the new steering bearings. Removing the old races and getting the new ones in was a lot easier than I thought.

I also sanded and primed the headlight bracket, now I need to get a dent off the headlight bucket and paint it as well... anyways... just moving along, slowly and steady... mainly slowly but it is taking for ever to take care of everything.

7. hogfiddles

But it will be stunning when it's done....

8. lacucaracha

lacucaracha Member

Damn, I should have gone with the Euro spec stripes! They look so much better! Thats a damn fine color scheme.

9. ecologito

It was a PITA to get them. I will try to go to a local shop and get some replicas done in case I need to replace them. I am pretty sure there is a shop that makes decals for NASCAR teams doen the street that can do that :)

10. ecologito

The steering bearings are in as well as the front forks. I also gave the headlight bracket afresh coat of paint.

[​IMG]

Now on to the tank, and rest of body to prep for a fresh coat.

11. lacucaracha

lacucaracha Member

I just put some decals on my tank and screwed it all up. It's a total PITA to put them onto compound curves. Check out some YouTube videos before you do it. There's some good tricks. I had to order another set...

12. ecologito

I had to take a few steps back, I primed the front fender and once I put down the first coat of paint I found small dents on it. Not sure if they are that big of a deal or I am being OCD with this project but I want it to look perfect if I am going to work on it so... now the fender is stripped and ready for some bondo to take care of the small dents.

It seems like this project is taking a lot longer than I ever imagined but will be done before I die (hopefully).

13. hogfiddles

I've been building my x-from-scratch bike for three years, my first trophy bike took 8 years before it got there.....

Don't pay attention to time.

14. ecologito

Ok, so I need some ideas about where to go from here. I have valves in spec, carbs fully redone. I have a new fuse box for the wiring harness. I rebuilt the petrooster already as well.

All the plastic panels and gas tank have been stripped and ready for some bondo and a fresh coat.

If you were restoring this bike what would be the next step? I don't have money to buy everything at once and I hate asking Len for stuff Nd quotes and not place another order.

Here is what's in my list:

- rebuild brake calipers
    - rebuild master cylinder
    - new brake lines
    - service clutch?
    - rebuild starter?
    - new tires (i guess this would be the last thing once it is road ready), right now is not going anywhere.

Any pointers of order that things should be taken care of would be much appreciated.

15. hogfiddles

get new brake shoes, they aren't pricey. scuff the inside of the drum. replace rear gear oil, grease brake pivot shaft, grease rear brake pedal pivot shaft.

service the starter

those are all things that can be done without too much $

dave

16. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Yup, then save the rest of the spending money until you have enough to buy all the parts for the brake system at once.

A tip: If you plan on changing out the stock bars (Euro bends on the 650R are quite nice) make sure you get the bars before ordering the lines. If you don't, you end up with an odd looking setup for the MC.

Don't ask.

17. ecologito

So I have been a bit busy the past few weeks but finally made it to the store and picked up some bondo. This is my first stab at body work so I made sure that the tank was sanded down to the metal and totally clean.

I mixed the stuff and watched a video on how quick it starts to dry so of I go... a few dabs here and there. Now I am waiting for it to fully cure and then more sanding, I'm sure it will need another round of fill ups but eventually will get there. This stuff also smells pretty funky.

[​IMG]

18. ecologito

Today I was doing a little more bodywork and also decided to start looking at the wiring harness.

Somehow I own three full harnesses so I decided to take pictures as I was comparing all three to figure out which one is in better shape.

[​IMG]

On this picture you can see how the harness at the bottom of the picture has different plug for the headlight. I believe that is the one that came out of the bike with the original headlight so I will look into that bulb at some point.

[​IMG]

On this one you can see how one harness does not have a fuse box and was replaced with inline fuse casings. Another one the PO decided to bypass one fuse and hot wired it.

The third one looks unmolested so most likely this is the harness that will go in the bike. I already have plans to replace the fuse box for blade style fuses.

[​IMG]

PO owner also decided to extend and double the stop light with two bulbs on one of the harnesses, not a great job but It seemed alright. Again that one harness is facing elimination.

[​IMG]
    Somehow one of the harnesses still has a relay...

[​IMG]
    One harness has a diode...

[​IMG]

And in the box of wire harnesses even managed to find this kickstand switch.

After reviewing pictures, wires and connectors I have picked one of the harnesses that will go in the bike. I will save the other two as spares or put them up for sale since wiring harnesses is not something that you just need to replace very often.

That was all for today, tomorrow I will clean the wiring harness, all connectors and then test them for continuity (when possible) for continuity to make sure that everything is working before going back in the frame.

Since tomorrow it will be not so hot I may do a bit more bodywork since I got some good advice on bondo-shaping techniques.

19. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

2 years on and this thread keeps on giving. Remarkable persistence! Thanks for sharing.

20. ecologito

So here are a couple of pictures of the Master Cylinder, the first one is the MC the way it came out of the bike, it was a pain in the neck to get the circlip holding the piston in. Once that came out the whole body went in for a good boil in vinegar and lime juice. After that all I had to do was to clean with shop towels and all the gunk came right off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice and shiny:

[​IMG]

The next step is to use a metal brush, get everything squeaky clean, put the piston back in and install a new glass. I might as well strip the paint and give it a fresh coat before anything else.