1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Ted's '82 Maxim 750 bobber

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Ted, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Pazalas

Pazalas Member

NICE! Now lets see some pics of that mower with the whitewalls!

2. Ted

Ted Member

Here you go.. sorry for the delay! :D

I would just like to say also that this mower gets a ton of looks when I'm chopping the grass. It's one of those things where you either love it or hate it. Some people think it's cool as hell and others think it's absolutely retarded - I agree with both of them. :lol:

[​IMG]

Here's what it looked like when I got it from my dad (free, just like my bike!) ..

[​IMG]

3. Ted

Ted Member

Almost forgot a pic of the taillights! 8)

[​IMG]

4. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

Shorts and flip flops... that's how I work on everything. :D and I tend to mow the grass barefoot.

5. Ted

Ted Member

Took a couple vids so you guys could hear it run.

http://youtu.be/jlXgWy2TQi4 - baffles out

http://youtu.be/qRm_xTtMdjo - baffles in

Just for the record I never ride anywhere wearing shorts except the quick test run around the block & I wear a full helmet about 90% of the time (try to force myself 100% of the time).

I've only put about 100 miles on this thing with these new mufflers & the baffles are f***in shot! I think it sounds a little better without them now anyway but I might try repacking the baffles later on.

[​IMG]

6. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

nice bike, and nice mower!

7. Fr0st99

Fr0st99 New Member

hey were did you grab your spacers from? Stopped by homedepot today with no luck.

8. Ted

Ted Member

Got them at Ace Hardware.

9. Ted

Ted Member

Somebody asked for an explanation of how I mounted the seat. After I hacked the back of the frame off, I took the support and moved it up between the frame rails and drilled a couple holes through it for the seat bolts to sit in. It's not actually attached in the back (though I still might do that for added safety). It is only attached with this steel bracket that is secured by the lower gas tank bolt. The bracket was just a piece of flat steel that I bought at Menards. Bent it with a vice and a hammer and drilled a hole. Seat 1.jpg Seat 2.jpg

10. Ted

Ted Member

Ugh.. I hate winter.

So back in early November when I laid this bike down for her winter slumber, I filled the tank with Premium petrol and a little bit o' Sta-bil. I ran the motor for a little while to make sure the gas in the carbs was stabilized and there she sat until about a month ago when the temp finally got back in the 40's here & I decided it was time to blow out the cobwebs. Good news - after topping off the battery she fired right up. Bad news - I quickly realized that I had committed the cardinal sin of leaving the petcock on prime when I saw a steady flow of gas/oil mix puking out of the breather filter.:mad:Frrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiick. All over the wrapped pipes and everything. I flushed & filled the crankcase and installed a new breather filter but haven't started it yet. Need to replace all that gas that drained out first.

Also got some new shocks installed this week (http://www.dimecitycycles.com/11-inch-black-shorty-eye-to-eye-rear-motorcycle-shock-absorbers.html).

They're a little longer than the Suzuki Savage 650 shocks so I'm hoping that translates to a smoother ride but I'm not holding my breath. The Savage shocks are getting transferred over to my new bobber project within a couple of days.

I'll try to post up a pick or 2 later...

Cheers! :cool:

11. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

You have a stuck float (or several). Just leaving the petcock on prime will not let the fuel in the tank drain into the crankcase. Don't fill the gas tank until you are sure the floats and float needles are operating properly.

12. Ted

Ted Member

Yep, good point K-moe. I had one that stuck a little last spring too. Had to whack the carb bowl a few time with a screwdriver handle to get that cylinder to fire. I suppose I should pull the rack and have a look-see before I get too excited about going for a ride.

13. BrosefStalin

BrosefStalin Member

Nice to see you posting again! Good luck with those carbs! I'm rejetting my carbs this weekend per your recommendations.

14. Ted

Ted Member

Quick update - went for a quick ride the other day. Still runs like a top but the oil-soaked pipe wrap down around the collector smoked like a bastard. Aside from being a little embarrassing at the stop lights, I was pretty afraid it was going to catch fire. Reaaaaaally don't want to do it but I'm going to have to pull the exhuast & get rid of the wrap. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to re-wrap or not. I might call around and see what it would cost to get the whole thing powder (or ceramic) coated.

I don't think I ever posted a pic of the headlight I got last year & here are the new shocks from Dime City. Damn she needs a bath! o_O

bike 1.jpeg bike 2.jpeg bike 3.jpeg

15. george hogue

george hogue New Member

i'm glad you mentioned that you were using a garmin on your bike because i saw it in the pics and wondered where you got a cool small square speedo like that lmao

16. Ted

Ted Member

Yeah the Garmin actually worked pretty well... unfortunately it got stolen out of my truck because I left the doors unlocked when I was out of town for the weekend. I didn't put the mount on when I switched bars but I have thought about buying a newer one and putting it back on - or maybe on the 2nd bike build for my wife.

george hogue likes this.
  17. Shanesajda

Shanesajda Member

Yout never have to worry about that seat/fender rubbing on the rear tire?

18. Ted

Ted Member

Nope. It's still got a little bit of room with the shocks bottomed out.

19. Ted

Ted Member

This bike is going up for sale soon & going to sell my other one as soon as it is "finished". I have too many hobbies & not enough time or money so something's gotta' give. To be honest, my interest in riding has been shaken recently by 2 riders (in separate incidents) that were killed by idiot drivers on the highways just outside of my town. With 2 young daughters at home I think I'll stick to fishing for now. And maybe some golf.

The bike is running like a top again, though. I got the carbs back in order and switched the exhaust to some aftermarket 2-into-1 headers that I bought from hogfiddles. It runs too rich with the mufflers on and too lean with them off though so I think I'm going to re-wrap my original setup and put it back on before she goes on the market. I just need to find another exhaust collar since this happened:

collar.jpeg

Oops. o_O

20. Ted

Ted Member