1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

I need an ignition

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by xjwebb, Jul 5, 2014.

1. xjwebb

xjwebb Member

I have been running into problems with my 82 maxim 650. I replaced the coils and still the bike won't run. I have tested the coils to make sure they are in spec as far as resistance goes. I have narrowed it down to an ignition. Does anybody have one to sell?

2. Bighappy

Bighappy Member

I'm sure Chacal has them. Send him a pm.

3. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I think he means the TCI.

5. xjwebb

xjwebb Member

Yes the tci I'd what I need. Thank you

6. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

Did you test the pick-up coils and check for power at the TCI? How about the side stand safety circuit, does it work?

7. z32800

z32800 Member

Check out this site here in NZ; I got my TCI unit from them. And they sell them on eBay.

http://www.erd.co.nz/

8. xjwebb

xjwebb Member

I did test both coils. They both check out ok. The stand switches work. I cleaned the carbs. The bike will barley idle with the choke ok but once you start to give it gas it dies right out like it has weak spark.

9. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

It's probably not the TCI based on what you describe, so don't go there just yet.

What are your dile mixture screws set at?

When you cleaned the carbs did you fully and thoroughly follow The church of Clean?

Are you certain that you don't have any vacuum leaks (throttle shaft seals, intake boots, enrichment plunger seals, petcock vacuum line)?

Are your valves in spec? If the cylinders aren't sealing properly there won't be enough vacuum to deliver fuel properly.

As an aside: If you have looked at the spark and it looks weak to you, keep in mind that a TCI delivers a relatively weak spark over a longer duration than either a magento or a modern ignition system does. That delivery method has a purpose, and was intentional.

I just want to rule out everything else before you spend $100 or more on a used TCI that you may not need (unless you don't mind having a spare).

10. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Cleaned the carbs how?

Pretty much a good idea to set float levels and bench sync any time you take them off the bike.

I'd start with the bench sync then the float levels...Kinda sounds like your idle knob isn't set correctly either.

11. xjwebb

xjwebb Member

This is the story on how it started. Riding the bike a few weeks ago and it started losing power. the bike started not accelerating when you would give it more little. soon after the bike would backfire out of the carburetor and after fire out the exhaust. then the bike started to act like it was completely flooded and shut off. then the bike would not restart. I check the coils 4 resistance. I had to replace one of them. I then got the bike for fire and rode around the neighborhood until it started losing power and shut off again.the bike would only idle with the choke on, and once throttle is applied the engine dies.

I pulled the carburetor completely apart. Float needles, jets everything that can come out came out of cleaned and inspected. I checked to make site the flats were operating.

12. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

Did you test the pickup coils?

Also, how is the flow out your petcock? Is the vacuum opening it? Is the diaphragm solid?

13. xjwebb

xjwebb Member

Yes I tested the coils. Petcock flows fine. Diaphrams all look good.

14. xjwebb

xjwebb Member

Make sure the floats were operating. Got to love auto correct

15. JPaganel

You keep saying "coils" but you never say which ones. The way you talk about them sounds like you mean the ignition coils.

I specifically ask about the pickup coils. The ones under the left hand engine cover.

Including the one inside the petcock?

16. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Valve clearances IN SPEC? (Your symptoms kind of sound like maybe not...) This is step ONE.

Float LEVELS must be accurately wet-set. Just ensuring they work is not enough.

Are you sure you didn't transpose the air and fuel jets in the top of the carbs (under the "hat?")

17. xjwebb

xjwebb Member

Oh sorry I mean the coils that distribute the spark. Two of them under the gas tank. How do I test the ones behind the engine cover? What should I look for?

18. JPaganel

Pickup coils are what tells the TCI the position of the crankshaft, so that it knows when to fire.

These coils can be tested at the connector at the TCI. I know which wires in the connector they are for the 550, but I don't know if yours are the same.