1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Half or Full helmet?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by DanP, Jun 19, 2007.

1. KiwiXJ750D

KiwiXJ750D Member

Yeah, Full FACE, Gloves, Leathers, Boots

ATGATT

All the Gear All The Time

I have also found a site with a picture of someones face who had not worn a full face helmet, not going to post the link here but if you know of a rotten site I'm sure you can find it yourself.

Posted this link before:

WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES

Live to Ride, Ride to DIE

WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES

Ride safe, ride wise, Ride to survive.

2. Robert

Robert Active Member

Amen brother. Glad my calling wasn't an EMT.

3. whisperer

whisperer New Member

Full Face for me. I ride fast a lot and when I get whacked by some big jucy bug in the middle of the sheild I grin and wipe off what I can. I don't like the flavor of bugs...... :)

If I were to need the skull protection in a crash then that is not the time to wish I had the FF.

Anyway, I think those half-caps look goofy. That's what the HD posers wear.

4. DanP

DanP Member

Oh man, that site really puts a downer on riding. Sheesh. But, it does hit home though. Big time.

5. Jim_Vess

Jim_Vess Member

I must say, it's nice to be on a forum where everyone takes their safety as serious as I do.

I'm a member of a forum for my other bike and it seems like I get chastised over there whenever I recommend a full-face helmet or other safety gear to anyone that asks. So many of them apparently ride in minimal gear and helmetless if the location allows. They seem to think it's uncool to wear safety gear on a cruiser.

I don't care what type of motorcycle I'm riding, I'm always armored from head-to-toe. It's saved my carcass a few times.

6. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

Full face for shure > If you got a five dollar head get a five dollar helmet <

7. coastie550XJ

coastie550XJ Member

full face for me!! Just to me it just seemed to be the smart thing to do..

8. brucem

brucem New Member

I believe that at serious speed it does not matter what you have, it is going to hurt. It a good thing I am a slow poke. I think if attire is more important than your survivability it might be best to have a different past-time. When I see someone booting down the highway in a T-shirt, shorts and sandles I shake my head. I have been riding for 21 years and been down 3 times at low speed (under 10 miles/hour when I hit the ground). I never want to experience going down at 60 miles/hour or feel the impact of a car.

A few years ago I was leaving work in my leather chaps, and jacket and someone asked if I wore all that when it was so hot, (yes is does get hot in southern Ontario). I asked them if they wore their seat belt when it was hot, they grasp the concept.

9. brucem

brucem New Member

I think if attire is more important than your survivability you should look for a safer past-time. I have been riding for 21 years and gone down 3 time at low speed. I would hate to feel the pain of going down at highway speed or impacting a car. When I see someone booting down the highway in a T-shirt, shorts and sandles I just shake my head.

A few years ago when I was leaving work on a hot summer day, (yes it does get hot in Southern Ontario), in my leather chaps, jacket, gloves and full-face one of my co-workers asked if it was necessary. In response I asked if they wore their seatbelt when it was hot.

In short ride safe and protect yourself every way you can.

10. Robert

Robert Active Member

Brucem, you can say that again... (I'm yanking your chain).