1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Crap! my carb joint started leaking gas

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by designerjer, Jul 15, 2014.

1. designerjer

designerjer Member

I'm back. Well I was trying to fix my flat power at 65mph issue and added a couple washers to raise the needle a bit. After re-installing the carbs I find that the pipe between carb three and four is leaking pretty bad. This is a new issue that never happenend before. Must have shifted a bit while I was working on it. I can't imagine the needle height has anything to do with it. Looking like I have to break down the rack to replace O-rings huh? Should I just do them all? May as well strip and dip while I'm at it.

Anyone willing to share a parts list of what I might need to order? I know I need Orings.

2. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

It would help to have your XJ information in your signature.

I would recommend pulling the carb rack; breaking it and do a complete rebuild.
    Chacal (XJ4Ever) has a deluxe rebuild kit that should cover eveything you need (like new o-rings for the fuel connectors).

3. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

The flat power issue could be a lack of fuel delivery due to a variety of reasons.

If your carbs are leaking that is another sign that they need to be serviced.
    The best way to make sure that runs well is to do the job all the way, no shortcuts, half jobs or "looks about right".

If you email Len he can give you a list and quote for individual parts or the entire rebuilt kit for your carbs.

Cleaning and replacing faulty parts is only hafl of the job. Setting up the carbs is the other half (Sync, wet set the bowls, and idle screws).

You must do the entire job or your will be chasing your tail.

Cheers.

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The 550s are Mikuni-equipped.

Mikuni butterfly screws are "staked" on the backside to prevent loosening; in order to remove them without damaging the throttle shafts you need to file the "butts" off the screws. (You will need new screws.)

Also, there are various "options" in regard to the fuel rail; see the XJ4Ever parts listing or contact chacal.

5. andrewc

andrewc Member

I would replace all of the fuel pipe o-rings and also do all of the throttle shaft v-seals.
    It will not be possible to sync the carbs without both due to vacuum leaks.
    If your fuel pipe o-rings are shot then the throttle shaft v-seals won't be long behind.
    If you go to the xjbikes catalog look up the year and engine size in the fuel section and look for both parts called "fuel pipe o-rings" and " throttle shaft v-seals" get the part numbers for complete sets and order both.
    Very inexpensive and with a synchronization afterwards, you will have a new bike!!!

6. designerjer

designerjer Member

patched the tube externally with RTV to stop the fuel leak for now. Probably won't last 1 ride but just wanted to try it. So far it's holding. I am placing the order for all carb rebuild parts. Let everyone know how this turns out. Thanks for the advice.