1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

wiring advice for volt and ampmetre

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by casperdog21, Jul 23, 2014.

1. casperdog21

casperdog21 Member

just got a volt and ampmetre off ebay came without any advice about wiring, anyone put one of these onto their bikes if so how did you wire it into the system,five wires black red blue green and yellow, red and black on one conector and the blue green and yellow on the other conector , cheers

2. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

Not a clue, but that sounds like a neat idea.

Only thing I can think of offhand is, unless I miss my guess, is that voltage can be measured anywhere, while amperage needs to be measured in series.

Maybe get a set of male/female connectors that plug into the output from the rectifier, along with some wire and pins for the plugs, hack together a pigtail, and tap into that?

Someone else please chime in here.

3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

First thing is try to get some info from the seller, if that don't work.
    The volt meter will go on the + and-- on the battery, the amp meter will go in series with the battery ( battery + to Fuse to meter +, meter - to harness + ).
    Now you need to find the wire colors, without breaking it.
    Get a 9volt battery, the little square ones. Hold red on + and really quick touch black to -.
    I think the volt meter should go up. Then try red + and yellow - and look for the light in it to come on. See how that goes and then we can work on the amp meter.
    Are any of the wires thicker than the others? These would be amp meter wires,

4. casperdog21

casperdog21 Member

thanks for the replies, my idea was to keep an eye on the battery condition, also with help from the forum I have got the headlight coming on after the engine has started, had the bike for years and they have allways came on with the ign, I was hoping to get better headlights etc, and was thinking a check on amp uptake might help, info I have is that
    Max output is 19amp 14 volt =266watts with the lights on xj650 it is 113 watts leaving 153 spare So im going to try 100watt H4 bulb. thats why I wanted to keep an eye on things, cheers

5. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

correction: black to yellow for the internal light.
    i had a 100w in a 750 and the socket didn't last long, just too much heat. upgrade to a high temperature socket.
    all the headlight wires have to take that 100w to, the more power you put in them the greater the loss, so think about separate headlight relays and wiring if it's brighter lights you want

6. markie

markie Member

Can you post the ebay link?

Be careful how you connect the ammeter in - you need to stay away from the starter motor!

What bike is it going onto, XJ650?

Is it this one? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-500V-100A- ... 7238wt_847

Wire colour is correct
    (I am an industrial electrician!)

7. casperdog21

casperdog21 Member

thanks again for the replies the unit I got off ebay has the volts on top and the amps on the bottom, it has an inbuilt shunt on the unit, I take your advice about the headlights, I live in the country side and its pitch black, I just use the car when its dark. if I put the black to ground, red to ign, and blue to a live wire the volts work ok I can do this from inside the headlight cowl, that leaves the two wires for the amps but where they will go I dont know the wires on the unit wont take a large current, as the wires to the unit wont take a lot of power going by the thickness

8. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

is there a one wire plug to the left of the battery with a red wire, it should go to the main fuse. you can unplug it and connect your wires to each side of the plug

9. casperdog21

casperdog21 Member

just to let poeple know I just used the volt metre side of the unit,got things running and she was charging at 13.5 volts, not right, so I checked the alt and the brushes were done in, new ones fitted and all joints and fittings cleaned, result 14.5, just what the doctor orderd so now I can see whats going on with the battery and charging, well worth the effort, thanks again for the help,