1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Just got my first bike, but have a question.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Suzib, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Suzib

Suzib New Member

Hey out there, Ijust got my first bike. It is a 1985 XJ700 Maxim, shaft drive. I got a great deal on this and am way excited.
    The bike needed a new battery, I knew that one. So I went and purchased a new one, filled it and charged it accordinly then placed it back in the bike. She fired right up, so I rode her down the block and when I went to shift into second it died on me. I walked her over to the side of the street, gave her a second and tried to restart her. Needless to say I had to walk her back..

I checked the fuel control (sorry I know it has a name but I don't know what that is) it was leaking fuel. I called the local cycle shop and they said for a short fix, while I ordered the new fuel control, to put a gasket sealer on it. So far that is working.

Now my first problem is that when I start her up and let it warm up, that all goes fine for a few minutes. Then it dies out. When I go to re-start, it clicks over on the left side of the bike. It feels and sounds like it wants go, but it won't re-start. I also noticed that when I re-start the oil light flickers on. Could this be the starter or something else??? I did check the oil, it is getting changed this weekend, but there is some in there.

Sorry I wrote so much, but I figured I would try to be as complete as possible. If you have any questions please let me know.

My bike is a 1985 XJ700 Maxim, Shaft driven..

2. Robert

Robert Active Member

Welcome and boy, you've got your self a humdinger of a pickle. I'm not familar with anything past 84 so I'm going to generalize in the statement that I think you have a relay problem given the oil light flicker. I could be way off base on this one but it is my first gut feeling that you have a relay going bad on you. Heats up and volia, no worky worky. Others will come and leave you sound advise as they know your year well. Wait and they will be along shortly.

3. welderflame

welderflame Member

Check the kickstand safety switch, I had a similar problem on my 86. A shot of WD40 inside the rubber boot took care of it for me.

4. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

The problem with the newer bikes is fewer know how to fix them :lol:

On the earlier XJs the oil light will come on while cranking. That's designed in and I believe to provide a check for the bulb, like when everything in the car lights up before you start it.

If it's a sudden quit (like you turned it off) it's probably not fuel/carb related. Have a look at your sidestand switch (as mentioned above) then clean all your electrical connectors, especially the ones on relays.

5. RcPriest

RcPriest Member

if the petcock is leaking it might be dripping when off but when you run the motor it will drain the bowls and not get any more gas. because the diafram is broke and not opening up the valve.

Try setting the petcock to PRI when it is running.

And get a rebuild kit fast for that old petcock.

Rob

6. losifer

losifer Member

The oil light on your bike is designed to come on every time the starter button is pressed, for as long as it's pressed.

I had mine coming on intermittently, and it turned out my starter button was sticking halfway in after I released it. A little spray lube fixed the problem.

So I doubt the oil light is symptomatic of anything else.

As has been said, check the sidestand switch to see if it's engaging when you don't want it to.

Have you pulled the sparkplugs? I'd be interested to know how they look.

7. Suzib

Suzib New Member

Thank you so much for the advice. When I get off from work I will be spraying some WD40 into the sidestand switch, I will let you all know what happens with that.
    As for the spark plugs, I did take those out last night. They are grimmy and dingy, but they still gave off a spark. Those are scheduled for replacement along with the oil.

It helped to find out that I am the third owner of my bike. The guy that I purchased her from, has had it for 8 years and has only put about 10K
    miles on it. But thankfully he kept it in a garage the whole time he owned it.

Suzi
    1985 XJ700 Maxim 24,851 miles.

8. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Not just the switch ...
    Make sure that the old, dried-up grease is allowing the Rod to make the Side Stand Switch open and close is moving freely.

If the Stand goes up and the Rod doesn't move ... the Switch stays Open and the bike doesn't get the signal it needs to allow it to Start.

If the OIL LIGHT is coming ON ... check to see if there is enough oil in the bike to keep the Oil Level Safety circuit connected.

Even though your bike has a Modern-style Fuse Panel under the "Dash" between your Instruments; you should check the Fuses and see if the right fuses are where they belong.

If your Bike has more than 25,000 Miles on it; examining the Alternator Brushes for wear is a very simple little project.

I hope you find whats causing your bike to misbehave. As you check the various suggestions we have for you; please update us so we know how the work is progressing.

9. welderflame

welderflame Member

That's us we like to help. This being my first Yamaha, I came here looking for help with a couple of thins and have been doing the things to my bike I thought only my old race mechanic could do. My 12 year old son has even gotten in on the fun. He rebuilt my starter from info I got here.

10. Suzib

Suzib New Member

Were up and running..
    I sprayed the kickstand rubber boot, changed the spark plugs, Bought some seafoam put it into the crankcase and flushed the oil twice, also changed the oil filter. Perfect, there still are some minor tweeks that I need to do, get a tune up and learn how to adjust the idle. Then the rest is just cosmetic, a little paint, a little shine...

Thank you everyone for your help and advice. This is definetly my new favorite web site.. :)

1985 XJ700 Maxim
    24,922 miles

11. RickCoMatic

Um ...
    Excuse me?

"Get a tune-up?"
    No. Please don't go get a tune-up!

Hang-tough ... right here.
    We can walk you through doing a tune-up ... your darn self.
    None of your cash going to somebody else for what you can have a little fun doing yourself.

Are you game to try it?

12. Suzib

Suzib New Member

Yeah sure anytime I don't have to spend my money on someone else is a great thing?
    Guess I am just a little nervous, don't wanna screw it up.

Alright Yoda's, teach me!

13. RickCoMatic

What do you need to do ... first!

14. Robert

Robert Active Member

You have the right mindset to succeed Suzib, dig in! We'll help sholder the load.

15. Suzib

Suzib New Member

I was told to Lube the clutch and brake cables. Then it idles a little rough, the guy I bought it from said there is this knob under the gas tank, by the petcok, that I need to move to adjust it.
    I have already changed the spark plus and the wires.
    Is there anything else that I should be doing?

Thanks guys..

16. RickCoMatic

There is a knob between the middle two carbs that has to do with Idle. But, that's limited to Idle speed.

How "Mechanically inclined" are you?
    Are you able to tackle some "Projects" by yourself?

17. Robert

Robert Active Member

Ok, rough idle.
    One tune up to order, comming up!
    Pull and clean sparklers (plugs), replace if they are more than a year old.
    Pull and clean out the carbs, ensure all passages are clear.
    Pull and inspect the airfilter. Best bet is simply to replace it unless it looks new.
    Change oil and filter.
    Check your valve clearances, adjust as necessary.
    Syncronize the carbs.
    Serve up hot with relish, enjoy!
    P.S. If the bike is new to you, you ought to drain and refill final drive oil as well.

18. Suzib

Suzib New Member

I am pretty mechanically inclined. Just pulled the engine out of my 62 Rambler, so that I can rebuild it.
    I almost always do the projects on my own, when and if I need help I get a hold of my Father. Or get a manual to help guide me along.

Idle speed, this would explain why it seems to idle very High and loud when I start it up. I even let it sit for about 15 mins and it calms down a bit.

Where is final drive oil located? Isn't this the same as changing the oil?

----------------------
    1985 XJ700 Maxim

19. kordasn

kordasn Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the final drive oil is the oil that lubricates the shaft drive to the rear wheel? 80W or 90W oil, smelly stuff.

20. KiwiXJ750D

KiwiXJ750D Member

That's the stuff!