1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Changing head gaskets

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Mike82mxm, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Mike82mxm

Mike82mxm Member

Does the engine have to come out to change the head gaskets? On an 82 xj750 maxim I have to change head gaskets due to oil comin out between the cylinder and the head on #4.i am not sure but it looks like it should have enough room to come off while engine is in the bike.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

There is plenty of room to do the job in the frame. Are you absolutely positive that the leak is coming from the head gasket? There are plenty of ways for oil to find its way from the valve cover gasket, down to the head gasket joint and make it look like the head gasket is leaking.

3. Mike82mxm

Mike82mxm Member

I washed the engine multiple times with a good degreaser and every time I rode it it was or seemed to be coming from behind the #4 exaust pipe just under the pipe studs and running backwards onto the cooling fins (highway speeds) and onto my carb then my leg. Was never wet above the exaust studs. Therefore leading me to head gasket. I bought a complete engine gasket set so I have everything for the top end.

4. Mike82mxm

Mike82mxm Member

Changing the gasket between the cyl jugs and the lower half as well while I have it all apart I didn't realize it was so easy while I was into it allready

5. Mike82mxm

Mike82mxm Member

all went good back together valve cover ,head and jug gaskets done. starts and runs better than it has before.plus new personal plate came in....
    [​IMG]

6. engraverwilliam

engraverwilliam Member

what bags are those?

7. Mike82mxm

Mike82mxm Member

I bought them off ebay a few months ago unsure of the name but i will find out and send it to you along with some pics of them, they worl good but im no a fan of the velcro on the lids.they also zip off so you can take just the bag with you