1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Smack's XJ550 Maxim build

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by PilotSmack, Mar 29, 2014.

1. PilotSmack

PilotSmack Active Member

Well a couple weeks ago, my ignition coils packed it in, so I got a buddy to order me a set of Dynacoils for cheap (sorry Len).

They arrived today, so instead of going to the gym, I went to my basement to start putting them together.

I figured I might as well check the fitment first. Since the Dyna How-to doesn't cover a 550, I had to improvise a little.I went outside, Dremel in hand, and created a slit in the coil mounting bracket to bend the bracket for a vertical fit. The only problem now is the neck where the main wiring harness goes through. It's tapered inward, which means your Dyna's won't be able to fit with just the adjusted brackets. I cut a small slit in the tapered portion, and used a drift and hammer to bend the taper on both sides, allowing the new coils to fit. (I know the throttle cable is out of position, I moved it for the pic)

[​IMG]

I used the rubber front pieces off the old coils, trimmed them down, and put them in the existing holes. The fit was fantastic, and a lot easier than I thought it would be.

[​IMG]

So now with her new bearings, sprocket, chain, Dynas, and rear tire, this resto is pretty much wrapped.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

You want a "real" fork trim piece?

3. PilotSmack

PilotSmack Active Member

Hah, I'm good for now, thanks Fitz!

4. ImmPoser

ImmPoser Member

I want that seat.

5. PilotSmack

PilotSmack Active Member

Was out riding with a friend the other day (on his brand new FZ-07). He referred to my seat as a "couch".

6. bmarzka

bmarzka Active Member

Very, very nice. Maybe some red piping on the seat?

7. Bruce_M

Bruce_M Member

Dyna coils, valve lapping, engine rebuilding, new gaskets ... so good! Runs like a dream... awesome! Pays off to do the work. :lol: Red frame is excellent!

8. PilotSmack

PilotSmack Active Member

Been a while since I posted on my build, not a whole lot has changed. I finally finished the rebuild, the carbs are all done (with allen keys... so awesome), lights are all LED, tank cleaned inside and repainted. Repainted forks, fresh oil in em, new RFY shocks for the rear, upgraded per the how-to on DoTheTon. Still haven't upgraded to R6 switches yet. I discovered massive cracks on my car's strut mounts, so those required a little cash. Soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

goblinfarts likes this.
  9. BrosefStalin

BrosefStalin Member

Awesome job!