1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

YamaGPZ 650 Project

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by uhoh, May 23, 2010.

1. uhoh

uhoh Member

Gauges all set up and working! Slowly getting there, just need to figure out a paint scheme now.

[​IMG]

2. HirsuitHeathen

HirsuitHeathen Member

Looking great I can't wait to see the end result!

3. IvarNelson

IvarNelson Member

Any updates?!
    Its a very inspiring thread.
    Did the virago rear wheel fit with the xj drive or did you have to do anythinf to it?

4. silverdollar

silverdollar Member

5. vic_romano

vic_romano New Member

Wish my wife would let me bring my bike in the house :)

6. uhoh

uhoh Member

Thanks for the kind words guys! I will try and get some updates asap. Got a new job so that has been taking up a lot of my time. :?

Never used a Virago Rear wheel, the wheel I'm using is a Divvy wheel! It mated up fine except will require you to fabricate a spacer to work with the old axle.

Haha, it didn't last long, I'll tell you that!

7. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

I love this rear setup! I'm going to locate the wheel. Looks like they are all in the UK. FZ1 brackets are plentiful here in the states. I wonder how the 150/70-17 wheel will fit in the maxim swingarm? Do you guys think it will have to be notched? I looked up a few tires that size, avg tread width is 6.38" under load vs 5.59" on 130/90-16 under load. I know some mod might have to be done? I was going with the '83 wheel, but this looks way hotter! I'm going to do some homework. Any word on the specs for that bearing that was made for the FZ1 bracket?

8. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

I just received the FZ1 bracket w/ caliper today. It was only $40 on Ebay. The XJ900S Wheel was another story. I had to search overseas and the cheapest I could find over the last two weeks was one in Germany for 159 Euros + shipping. This was a little steep, but to have a 150/70-17 rear wheel on a Maxim will be very unique. It did not come with a disc brake. I'm searching online and I found that the Diversion rear disc is 245mm diameter, while the FZ1 is 267mm. My question is, do they have the same bolt spacing? I feel that I should have the FZ1 caliper to match up with the caliper? The wheel was shipped today. Any thoughts out there?

[​IMG]

9. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

So any Ideas?? uhoh, What disc did you use??

10. uhoh

uhoh Member

I'll have to double check my disc size (It came with the diversion rear wheel, and I'm pretty sure its 245). The problem I ran into is that the bracket collides with the disc bolts on the rear diversion wheel. I have notched the bracket a bit but am not satisfied with the result so far. As I don't have a FZ disc, I wouldn't be able to help you out with the bolt spacing.

11. uhoh

uhoh Member

The bushing was made at a local machine shop. Make sure they know that the axle tapers slightly so you are able to get it on!

12. broberg

broberg Member

This build looks awesome!
    And I really really love the gpz tank, just another bike to add to my got-to-have-list, right after a Harley Davidson XR750 Replica :D

13. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

Thanks for the tip! Would it be possible if you took some more detailed photos of the rear? The tire clearance, the rear caliper setup, etc..? It would help me out.

14. uhoh

uhoh Member

Couple modifications later...

[​IMG][/URL]

15. farmer

farmer Member

microsquirt?

16. bendoza

bendoza Member

looking very nice.

17. guami007

guami007 New Member

Greetings.

I have a question around the Diversion 900 rear wheel and other possible alternatives that could fit that I can source from a US Domestic Market model motorcycle? As I understand, Diversion 900 was made for European market. I've looked on local CL here in Minneapolis on off chance that a Diversion 900 rear wheel will pop up but it doesn't look good. I am looking at doing a similar build such as this one. So far, I have a complete running motorcycle, and a complete 1995 FZR front end. What I really need is the rear Diversion type wheel to allow me to move on to the next step. Any feedback on possible alternatives would be greatly appreciated.

Happy trails all.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  18. uhoh

uhoh Member

As you correctly guessed you will not find the wheel in North America. I had to source it from Italy off of eBay. There appears to be one available right now from the UK but in rough shape. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...r+wheel+900+-bearing+-bearings+-disc&_sacat=0

19. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

You should get one cheaper than that - I bought two (admittedly rough ) FZ750 wheels for 25 quid. Try searching for 'XJ900 breaking' - our term for parting out - and then message the seller.

20. zap2504

zap2504 Member

If you don't mind miss-matched wheels, remember that the Seca 750 rear wheel will bolt directly on to the Maxim 650/750 hub to give you an 18" wheel (but not as wide as the Diversion 750/900).