1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

shift gears with no clutch

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by XjNJ82, Oct 23, 2014.

1. XjNJ82

XjNJ82 Member

Hey, my bike can currently shift without touching the clutch. Im guessing this isn't good, anybody have an idea of what may be happening?

Thanks Much

2. tcoop

tcoop Active Member

This is a non issue unless it shifts with out touching the shifter. If you drop your rpms down to almost idle you can shift up without the clutch, to shift down you raise your rpms then shift down. Basically getting your engine speed inline with the transmission speed for the gear you are going into.

The only time I ever do this is on accident . I prefer to use the clutch, others prefer to only use the clutch when they are stopping/starting.

3. robbo

robbo Member

4. Beekman

Beekman XJ Grasshopper

As tcoop said, you can rev match to shift without the clutch, however if your bike still shifts clutchless regardless of what revs you are at I'd guess its a different problem.

My 125cc dirtbike also shifts without the clutch regardless of revs (my gf discovered this when learning to ride it), but sometimes jumps itself out of gear, I'm no transmission or clutch buff so I'm not sure exactly what it means. So I will be following this thread

Do you have to use the clutch to go into first from a standstill? Are your clutchless shifts rough?

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Jumping out of gear is not the same as being able to shift without using the clutch. Jumping out of gear happens when the gear dogs are worn, and requires transmission work to correct.

Clutchless upshifts are smooth, and easy. Preload the shift lever, cut the throttle, and the transmission will slip into the next gear.
    Downshifts take a bit more care, and a lot more practice to do smoothly.
    Everyone who rides a motorcycle should practice clutchless shifting, especially if you have a cable actuated clutch and don't carry a spare cable with you (and are really bad about maintenance checks). Once underway I rarely use the clutch in town.

6. shangovi

shangovi Member

This is interesting..

7. mnrider

mnrider Member

Yeah I recently put a suicide shifter on my bobber and ran a clutch pedal, no cable or level, and I only shift when using the clutch going from a stop. Its not too hard to master but down shifting you dont want to drop it into gears too fast. Just remember brakes are cheaper to replace than a transmission.

8. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i used to think shifting without the clutch was ok. then i took the transmission out and undercut the drive dogs. now i don't do that anymore

9. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

I agree with Polock. The clutch cable serves a significant purpose. When the clutch is engaged via the handle it allows the necessary movement for the dawgs to transition through the gears. Without it your "forcing" the dawgs through the gears and in turn roughing them. Doesn't matter how "smooth" it may feel. As i understand it not using the clutch to change gears is equal to putting a donut on a vehicle (for a emergency situation only). Slowly get where you need to go then fix the cable/tire asap.

Gary H.

10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

There is no forcing of anything (once you get the technique down). Disengaging the clutch does not instantly stop the gears from spinning and magically line up the dogs and slots. The need to undercut the 2nd gear dog is a design and production cost issue, not an operator issue. Popping out of second gear will eventually happen no matter how you shift, or how careful you are.