1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Need Help Please

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Littleberg, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Littleberg

Littleberg New Member

Hello. I have a 1982 maxim 550 which ran well for several weeks. However, a rough idle developed and eventually I couldn't get it started. After trying to start it for a while, gas leaked out of my air filter. I took the carbs off yesterday and cleaned them all out. They looked good, and all the floats had good action. The jets were clean and looked good as well. When I put it all back together, it ran for a while and then died a few miles from my house (a long push). When I got back, I took off the air filter (which was soaked in gas) and it started again, but ran rough. I started it again later and it was running better, but again there was gas on the floor. Is this a petcock problem? I was thinking of just installing a gas on/off switch right behind the petcock. This would take care of the petcock problem, correct? Would you all recommend an oil change to ensure gas isn't in the system? The weather is getting very nice and I enjoyed the 2 miles I drove today, I would like to get the bike running again. Any suggestions?

2. Nick

Nick Member

Sounds like a problem I went thru a while back. The crankcase ventilation system is possibly spewing oil/gas mixture from an overfilled crankcase into the air cleaner. This screwed up the air fuel mixture and my bike died, wouldn't start until about 1/2 hour or so later. I drained the oil, added fresh cheap oil, ran bike for a few minutes, drained oil again, changed filter, and added the good oil.

Basically the problem is two fold, the vacuum petcock not shutting off the fuel supply, and one or more float valves hanging up allowing the fuel to keep flowing.

Check the petcock by disconnecting the fuel line. With no vacuum on the valve, there should be no fuel flow in ON or RES, fuel should flow in the PRI position.

You can search the site for related topics, here's one link with some pictures of the valve......
    http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic ... tcock.html

3. Littleberg

Littleberg New Member

Well, I drained the oil and sure enough, there was gasoline in the oil. The petcock valve also leaked when it was on "on" and "reserve". I installed a on/off valve behind the petcock for a temporary fix. I'm going to add oil and a new air filter tomorrow and see what happens when I start it. Would having gas in the oil cause the bike to die when it was running?

4. Nick

Nick Member

It did with mine, but the crankcase was really full and the air filter was taking a bath from the crankcase ventilation system. It wouldn't hurt to pull your air filter and check it out for any sign of gas/oil soaking.

5. Littleberg

Littleberg New Member

**Update**
    The bike is running great. Stupid petcock valve....