1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Head stem bolt cover.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by knuts2a, Dec 29, 2014.

1. knuts2a

knuts2a Member

Stupid question 469, how do you get the plastic cover that sits between the handle bar mounts and covers the head stem . I can't feel any screws underneath and if i try pulling on it it feels like it's stuck in the middle and will break first before it comes off! 84 XJ900RK

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

The center trapezoidal-shaped piece thata says YAMAHA on it pops out, then there are two Phillips head bolts under it that you remove. Then the cover lifts right off.

A very thin knife blade will help, or sometimes I can get away with pressing on one end to make the other end pop up far enought to get under it. Just be careful- it is a snug fit and very easy to mar the plastic edges of it as well as the edges of the recess.

Dave Fox

knuts2a likes this.
  3. knuts2a

knuts2a Member

That was it! Looked like it was all one piece until i started poking at it, i've had the bike for 8 years and haven't touched it, i figure the previous owner didn't have it off either. Thanks Dave.
    PeterN

4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Any time :)