1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Bike dies, won't start

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by hurst01, Jul 15, 2008.

1. hurst01

hurst01 Member

I am running really short on time and am hoping that some kind sole can point me in the right direction on this.
    The bike is an 83 XJ750 Maxim. Starts and runs great and then suddenly will die just like you would hit the engine cut-off switch. When trying to re-start, it does nothing, like a dead battery. Headlight is on, but when the starter switch is depressed the light goes out.
    I can jump across the starter solenoid and the engine turns very well but won't start. After a bit of time, the bike will start with the starter button again. This has happened several times. This is not my bike, but my neighbors. Every time he gets home from work it hits the road and I can't get time to check it out before he takes off. He rides for a bit and then it is put away until the next time.
    If someone has had this same problem or can point me in the right direction I will try to hijack him to get it repaired. He pushed it about a mile over the weekend while I was teaching my BRC class.

Thanks, Ed

2. cam1990

cam1990 New Member

Hey Ed,
    I am having the same problem as this. Did you ever figure it out? It is driving me nuts!!
    Thanks in advance,
    -Cam

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

My first guess would be a sticking (or worn) sidestand switch.

The best way to get an answer to any problem on here is to start a new thread, detailing what is happening to your machine. Just because you have the same symptoms does not mean that you have the same problem.

4. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

This would be normal for the Maxim, as the starter switch has a set of normally closed contacts for the headlight that open when the starter switch is depressed.

The side stand switch is a good suggestion as it will disable both the starter circuit and the TCI.

Another thought would be the fuse box. The original fuse box deteriorates over time causing poor electrical contact and will cause all sorts of strange issues if it has not been replaced with a newer version or repaired with new fuse holders.

Key set to on, in neutral, and kill switch on it should start. Another indicator that the sides stand relay is not energized enabling the TCI. However, if the starter circuit is also disabled while in neutral, the two together points more toward a problem with the ignition circuit. Power from the battery, main fuse, ignition switch, ignition fuse, kill switch is used to power the safety circuits as well as the TCI. So, with two failures I would definitely start with a good look at the ignition fuse.

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Good reply Rooster. One thing to note is that the original post is from 2008, so Hurst01 isn't likely to thank you for the help. That's why I suggested that cam1990 make a new thread for his problem.