1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Which Master Cylinder

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by AndyXJ, Feb 13, 2015.

1. AndyXJ

AndyXJ New Member

Hi.

Apologies for the green question, but I've not been able to confirm the answer yet! I've spent days (yep, days) reading and re-reading posts and the parts catalogue and I think I know what I'm looking for, but just wanted to check.

I'm currently rebuilding a XJ650 Maxim back to factory(ish) spec, but I'm going to put twin front brake discs on it. Am I correct in saying that if I use a XJ750 or XJ1100 Maxim front brake master cylinder, I'll have the filler cover and mirror hole at the correct angles?

Thanks
    Andy

2. BrosefStalin

BrosefStalin Member

It depends on your handlebars. If the MC is from a maxim with the "buckhorn" bars and you have relatively flat handlebars, then it's not going to be at a correct angle.

3. AndyXJ

AndyXJ New Member

I didn't realise there were flat(ish) bars on a Maxim, apologies for not being clear. My 650 does have 'Buckhorn' bars on it.

4. AndyXJ

AndyXJ New Member

I enjoy being the first to try things so will report back with my findings.

5. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

If you have the stock 650 Maxim handlebars, then you'll really need to use the XJ750 Maxim/Midnight Maxim master cylinder, as it is the only one which has a "tilted" mounting configuration AND has a larger bore to handle the dual calipers........

FtUp likes this.
  6. AndyXJ

AndyXJ New Member

Perfect, thanks. Apologies for the misunderstanding earlier, I had no idea that the 650 Maxim came with different bars, I always assumed they were all the same. You live and learn :)