1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Alternator Chain adjuster?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jeff-ski, Apr 4, 2006.

1. jeff-ski

jeff-ski Member

Hi all
    I'm so close to bringing this restored 83 XJ750k to new life but...
    Can someone tell me specifically, what the vertical bolt and lock nut located directly below the cam chain tensioner is for. If so, can you also instruct me how to adjust it?
    It seems the Haynes manual left it ( the adjuster) out altogether . I'm assuming it is to adjust the Hyvo chain for the alternator... or is it something for the starter chain business?
    Please advise ...I don't want to re-install my carbs until I'm sure I've adressed this thing.
    Thanx for helpin'
    Jeff

P.S. The money for that XJCD version 4.0 is burnin bad...any word?

2. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

It is for the rear cam chain guide. Unless you removed it, it doesn't need to be adjusted. If you did, you loosen the jam nut, screw the bolt down to hand tight then loosen 1/4 turn and while holding it there with another wrench tighten the jam nut.

3. Nick

Nick Member

It's in there jeff-ski, just hard to find. On page 104 last few sentences on item 6 of section 46 Engine reassembly... even a picture #46.6c & d on page 105.

As BlueMaxim says, it's for the rear cam chain tensioner adjustment.

4. jdrich48

jdrich48 Member

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2014
  5. jeff-ski

jeff-ski Member

Thanx guys
    Holy crap! when I ask for specific...right on! You guys rock. Oh , Uh, sorry Haynes

Here's where this all stems from; When I did the valve shims, I saw evidence of the timing chain rubbing on the inside of the valve cover. In lieu of this I gently removed the auto adjuster only to see it was at about half of its adjusting capacity. It was all lubed and free to move so I didn't think it was at fault and ever so gently replaced it.
    The big kicker is that there is a rattle type more buzz-like at about 5000 r's but disappers again at 5200 and is clean right on up (and below) from there. Conversely, my brain says this is a harmonic thing; like a muffler or license plate, cuz I can feel it in the bars and pegs, but now I'm wondering if I should connect the buzz w/ the time chain thing.
    I guess I'm just reaching, not for perfect ...just trouble free
    She's got only 42g rounds on the dial...but I can surmise how she was ridden by the way she was protected from the elements.
    Thanx for your info

Jeff

6. Brian750R

Brian750R Member

if you suspect vibration, you can try to narrow it down using a screwdriver. use it like a stethescope (not as good as the real deal, but works in a pinch) put your ear too the handle end of the screw driver and place the blade against diffrent places where you suspect the noise might be eminating from. Sometimes these shakes will trick you as they resonate throughout the chassis, so this is a good method of narrowing it down.

Also, if youve got an extra 20 bucks i would go down to sears or the like, and get an automotive stethescope. It is AMAZING what your bike will tell you if you just listen close... also hearing the cams actuating, and the cylinders firing is pretty cool....

7. jeff-ski

jeff-ski Member

thanx guys
    I found the rattle; While re-installing the exaust collector and pipes back on to the bike I dropped the whole thing a couple times ( that whole assy. is quite awkward to handle alone) and heard...or found, the above said rattle.
    A piece of baffle or something inside the inlet side of the collector was floating loose. I could see it but it was too large to remove without major surgery so I simply and strategically lodged it with along drift and a hammer into it's new, and hopefully noiseless , resting spot. I hope there are'nt any real surgeons reading this.
    I think I'll just leave the lower chain adjuster alone now. It seems that several sources suggest leaving it be save for a major overhaul.
    Thanx again folks, this might be the weekend to fire the XJ up after her partial overhaul... Cross yer fingers.

Jeff

ps. thanx brian 750 for instigating the "listening thing"... an acute ear can really narrow things down!