1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ 600 2001 power issue.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by GothicGhost, Mar 8, 2015.

1. GothicGhost

GothicGhost New Member

Hello first post :D

Had a break down and recovered by rac but still not sure what is causing the problem.

The bike basicity stopped at a roundabout and as I was trying to pull away the bike stalled, after that I could not start it again.

Before the RAC guy put the charger cables on it, it had just over 11 volts when tested.
    So after a quick charge the bike started fine again.
    The rac followed me home and he did some tests revving the bike and it never hitting 14 volts on 3k-5k revs he said.

He said it could the regulator rectifier more then the battery, my mates also say it could be the stator.
    I am not sure what to do or what to buy to fix it.

Took some pics of the battery and the regulator connection pins that have some yellow gel stuff over it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My bike a Yamaha XJ 600 N 2001 Diversion.
    Any help and advice I would be very grateful.
    Thank you.

2. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

The yellow gel stuff is most likely die-electric grease - not anything to get hung about.

How old is your battery?

3. GothicGhost

GothicGhost New Member

Hello thanks.

I am not sure how old the battery is only had the bike myself few months just hard to tell if it's dying or not.
    A new battery can't hurt any ways but at this moment if I don't need one I would rather not buy one just yet due to limited funds :(

4. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

my guess would be that the stator brushes are worn out.

FU

5. markie

markie Member

Hi Mate, I am at work so cannot see a manual but the diversion does not have carbon brushes in the alternator, it used a permanent magnet system instead.

If you dont have access to a volt meter, you can do a rough and ready check by starting the bike (you may need to charge the battery first!) and turning the lights on. Rev the engine and the lights should get brighter.

If you do have access to a meter, the battery should read about 12.5 volts at standstill and this will rise to 14.5 ish with the engine running - charging.

Befor condemming the Regulator, make sure the connections are clean in the plug - no white/green deposits.

I'll look later if there is a test for the RR in a downloaded Haynes manual I have.

Mark

6. GothicGhost

GothicGhost New Member

I do have a volt meter just need to get back off my m8 lol.

When the rac guy was testing it with a volt meter it would never reach 14 volts only just over 13 with revs at 3000-4000.

I will try get a voltage tester tomorrow if a I can.

7. markie

markie Member

From the Haynes, a 1998 on model should have 14.1 - 14.9v output at 5000 revs/min under "No load" ie lights not on with a charged battery.
    The stator wires (3 white ones) 0,24 - 0.36 ohms between them. If the stator windings check out, I'd look at replacing the Regulator/rectifier.
    I have had a battery cell short out on a car before so dont rule that out, especially if it is old.

8. GothicGhost

GothicGhost New Member

Thank you for the information I will check out the voltage tomorrow and report back with my finding :)

9. GothicGhost

GothicGhost New Member

Done some testing today with another 12v battery and that seems to working fine hitting 14+ volts.

My battery was losing a lot of power even with no lights but my friends one was fine on idle.
    So ordered new battery and it should be fixed I hope.

Thank you all for your helping me out sort this :)

10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Once the new battery is in check to make sure that the regulator is doing its job once the battery is charged. I'd hate for you to have a new battery killed by a regulator that is allowing the battery to overcharge.

11. GothicGhost

GothicGhost New Member

How high would be overcharging be? 15 volts while revs on?
    Would know how long I should charge the gel type battery for the first time before using it?

Thank you.

(little update)

Replaced the battery now and everything seems fine so far :D

Thank you for your help.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015