1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

I have this thought in my head

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by JaiFer, Mar 10, 2015.

1. JaiFer

JaiFer Member

Well it's the first time in 45 days we've had a plus temperature, so it got me thinking, has anyone hooked up a electric fan to cool the engine and or oil cooler. I'm putting in a new fuse box and it has 2 extra connections. I had thought of running from the main coming into the fuse block and running it through one the extra. The thing is I'm not sure if the output would draw to many amps. Has any hooked up extra circuits in the fuse block for this reason or another. Thanks Jaimie

2. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

If you need a fan you're going way too slow.

You don't have electrical capacity to spare, especially at idle. Get stuck in traffic or at a long light and you'd probably be done for.

3. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Too much load on the electrical for sure. Traffic can be bad on a bike, but shouldn't be too bad unless your running lean, have old/dirty oil, poor oil pressure or low on oil.

4. JaiFer

JaiFer Member

Thanks, I thought the alternator may not put out enough output. I'd still like to add another circuit to the fuse box so I can charge up my phone or mp3 player, Do you think that would draw too may amps? Also I may have to relocate the fuse box and I was wondering what gauge the wiring is going to fuse block?

5. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

Can't tell if the fan is too much unless you know how much it draws.PC. case fans don't draw much but they don't do much either.
    Phone charger is ok

6. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I don't worry about a fan. If traffic is at a standstill, I just shut the bike off til it moves again. Or, I take an exit and go to another road.

Dave F

jmilliken likes this.