1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

'82 XJ 750 squirts oil from crankcase breather. HELP!!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Bozz, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Bozz

Bozz New Member

Over this past fall I bought a 1982 XJ 750 Maxim to accompany my current XJ 550 Maxim I have of the same manufacturing year. when I bought it, the intake box and filter was off of the bike and they had makeshift 'pod' filters over the 4 carb intakes. (they tied painters breathing masks over them. seriously?!) at that time he started the bike off of jumping it from his truck. it sat through the winter in a non heated garage, but I did put a gasoline treatment in it when I stored it. I put actual pod filters over the carbs but had not yet put a crankcase breather filter over the tube coming out of the crank case. I started it for the first time yesterday and it immediately started running at high RPM, like 8K or more. Then large amounts of oil (about a half a quart in around 20 seconds) started shooting out of the crankcase breather tube. I assume the high RPM came from air flowing at higher volume through the carbs and I need to adjust the air/fuel ratio. but what could cause that oil to come out like that? Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?? Thanks for your help!

2. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum. excessive blow by past the rings will cause what you describe.

FU

3. Bozz

Bozz New Member

Thanks FU, what do you think? Should I begin thinking about tackling putting on new piston rings? Id rather not, but if I have to...

4. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

I would start with a compression check, both dry then wet. see if you have low compression.

FU

5. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Check the oil level. Good chance your gasoline ran into the crankcase over winter and it's quite full now. Most common reason for your problem.

k-moe likes this.
  6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

What he said. ^^

You should plan to to a thorough check of everything before starting the engine again.

http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/index.php?threads/in-the-church-of-clean.14692/

http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/index.php?threads/the-information-overload-hour.27544/

The higher RPM on startup is more likey due to an improperly set idle speed adjuster, or due to a vacuum leak. Take no shorcuts, and find yourself a good airbox.

jmilliken likes this.