1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ750 Maxim - New turn signals won't flash

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Hakoo, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Hakoo

Hakoo New Member

Hey XJ Guru's out there,

I'm in a bit of pickle. I tore out the square headlight and auxiliary and I am in the process of rewiring/removing shit that isn't needed in order to make the conversion to a smaller, round headlight.

However, for the life of me, I can't get the new turn signals to work. I have not modified any wiring yet, everything is plugged in from what I can readily tell, and I've been staring at this rat's nest for hours.

I have all the turn signals working, and by working I mean that if I turn the switch left or right, the left and right turn signals will turn on, but will only stay solid. I have all the stock wires plugged into everything they are supposed to be plugged into. The turn signals were working before I installed the new ones and disconnected/reconnected all the wiring in the the front.

What wiring configuration am I messing up? Can anyone provide any insight? The turn signals I am using are here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/231490734965?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

What bulbs are in the new signals? The stock flasher relay needs 27W bulbs; most new signals come with 24W bulbs. The signals will light, but the relay will not get hot enough to begin flashing.

Hakoo likes this.
  3. Skwerly

Skwerly Member

wow, electrical on bikes is so much different than even older cars. I wouldn't have guessed that. I'd have been ballpark, but not just that.

4. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

k-moe, you must be a youngster. OLDER cars work exactly the same way.

5. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

You mean Skwerly?

6. Skwerly

Skwerly Member

Not a youngster, I just meant the simplicity of the wiring on older cars vs the massive amounts today coupled with way, way more complicated systems. Yes, it works the same, NO, it's nowhere near as easy to track down an issue.

7. Hakoo

Hakoo New Member

This is definitely the case, the new signals bulbs are 10W bulbs. What are my options? Can I just buy new bulbs that will fit?

I could replace the flasher relay, correct? Where is that located?

8. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

yes, just take one of the bulbs to the auto parts store and find one that is the same but has a higher wattage.

Fu