1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Stankin":

No Mid-range can be sneaky.

Nine out of 10 times it's plugged-up holes in the Emulsion Tubes.

You dive-in to the Carbs, again ... pull-'em out and look through all them holes and start scratching your head when you light shining through all them little holes and muttering begins!

Look at at Emulsion Tube, again.
    See how the Top and Bottom have a larger Outside Diameter than the barrel part with all the holes?

That's because ... the space inside the Carb Body, surrounding the Emulsion Tube Holes is responsible for letting the AIR ... supplied by the MAIN AIR JET ... get sucked through those tiny holes ... to "Break-up" the stream of GAS getting sucked-up through the MAIN (Fuel) JET.

Use the long, BRASS, brush from a Gun Cleaning Kit to scour the Inside Diameter of that tube where the Emulsion Tube fits.

Try removing the MAIN AIR JET and snaking a Pipe Cleaner down the Main Air Passages as far as it will go

With the Emulsion Tube out ... shoot Carb Cleaner straight-in the Main AIR Jet or use an Ear Cleaning Syringe to flush the Main AIR Passsages with some straight SeaFoam.

If you've tried "Everything else" ... do this!

Might as well "Go for broke!"

Good luck.

2. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Here's the Secret Weapon for "Blowing-out" Pilot AIR and Main AIR Passages.

3. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

I didn't really do anything for MY XJ, but I did loan out my Colortune plug to a fellow board member.

4. stankinjankins

stankinjankins Member

Today i pulled off the carb holders and cleaned them up really well. Time to put some of that RTV on em, because they are in REALLY bad shape on the outside. Also time to pull the carbs apart again and follow Rick's instructions on cleaning them out this time. Also my pilot screws are still covered should I drill them out and adjust accordingly. Thanks for all the help Guys

5. On1wheel01

On1wheel01 Member

Went on a 200 mile ride to the Blue Ridge Parkway. And rode the lil XJ like I stole it. She was a little quirky in the high altitude.

6. domroc

domroc New Member

I made a YICS tool from the plans here: http://home.westman.wave.ca/%7Ejbe/YICS.htm

I also popped out my caliper piston using compressed air. Unfortunately, after a long day, I wasn't paying attention to where my finger was. OUCH! I got my finger stuck between the piston and the part that holds the other pad. I left some skin behind on the caliper and the finger is still numb.

Attention newbies like myself, be careful with this one. When the piston does finally come out, it FLIES. I was still smarting from my finger when it did come out. Luckily it wasn't in my direction. That's when I decided to call it a night. :oops:

7. RangerG

RangerG Member

I had recently replaced brake fluid and pulled out and cleaned the master cylinder guts. I cleaned both ports in the master cylinder. Lots of crud in there. I'm surprised the brake worked at all! Yesterday I replaced rear brake shoes and front brake pads. Front brakes are dragging. Pulled the caliper off and removed the pads. I kept pumping the brake and adding fluid until the piston popped out. Lots of crud in there too. Ordered a caliper rebuild kit. Today I cleaned up the piston and caliper, put the seals back in and will try to get the brake working tomorrow. The weather is way too nice to not ride until the caliper kit comes. Wish me luck.

8. RangerG

RangerG Member

Today I reinstalled the caliper and attempted to bleed the system. After a little swearing and pouting I finally attached a syringe to the bleeder and pumped backwards. I have very strong return flow. Way better than before I cleaned out everything. I don't have real good pressure though. I used to use two or three fingers on the brake and got all the pressure I needed. Now I have to grab a handful and pull back nearly all the way to the handgrip. The brakes release and don't drag anymore. I'll try to bleed them a bit more tomorrow and hopefully go for a ride. Supposed to be 32C (90F) tomorrow and I have the day off!

9. russ668

russ668 New Member

Pulled the cover off of the alternator to see if that could be the culprit of the chirping sound I'm hearing. A suggestion was made the it could be the bearing going out. Everything seemed tight and even when I pulled the stator off and started it I still heard the chirp. Can't pinpoint it's origination. I know it's on the left side of the bike tho.

Learned that you tear the gasket trying to get the cover off if you don't slack up the stator wire prior to sliding the cover off. DOH! Lesson learned.

10. tewlman

tewlman Member

watched it sit sadly in my garage as it rained today. Hey if anyone in the Columbus ohio area has a colortune for loan, i would even pay a small fee to rent it for a couple of days.

11. frappe

frappe Member

Repaired left mirror.
    I've bought some truck mirror and went to glass shop. They done a good cut job.
    Glued it with silicone on my mirror housing an now it is drying.

Afternoon will do some riding.

12. cruzerjd

cruzerjd Member

I synced my carbs, added the bar end mirrors and rode to work, thats about it, cruzerjd

13. Ramon

Ramon Member

Well, I put some more glance on it. Was worth to look in.... a lot of crap around the alternator. Brushes were short. Got better ones inside now. Made it clean inside too! I guess it's worth to check. 30 minutes to go. :D

Attached Files:

14. RangerG

RangerG Member

Bled the front brake some more and got it to where it seems to be good. My neighbor says he has a brake bleeder (among other things. He charged my daughters air conditioning on her truck. Cost me three beer!) so I'm going to give that a try. Went for a ride and put on 100 miles or so. 160km for my fellow Canadians.

15. tonyp12

tonyp12 Member

Took an 80 mile ride. :D

16. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

I put gas in it! :D

Great not to have to do anything else with it!

Also, got almost 51 MPG on the last tank (Rural highway, 45-55 mph, few stop signs).

17. ridz

ridz Member

3 days to strip and three to paint. finished it today.

For those of you who liked the last paint job well I hope this one pleases you as well. Enjoy Ridz

Attached Files:

18. ajclockga

ajclockga Member

Played with the gremlins(Electrical-one turn signal wont work)they play to rough.Adjusted clutch,fixed the mirror.Changed oil.Rode about 20 miles.

19. gitarzan

gitarzan Member

Removed some crap eBay mirrors and put the OEMs back on.

I let it rest the weekend while I rode the big bike.

Going to change the Tach cable tonight.

20. Chared03HD

Chared03HD Member

I filled it with 91 oct fuel as usual & rode it to work today.

Over the weekend however......

After fabricating/replacing the choke cable over the week end!! Went to local Yamy dealer to get/order new cable.... back ordered or maybe discontinued I was told... and they had nothing close.... so i ventured over to the local bicycle shop and purchased a $2.00 gear shift cable that had a similar end on it.... brought it home, cut off end of cable that wouldn't work, slid it into oem cable housing/sleeve and lubed. Then measured old cable length... marked donor cable, cut a little long.... cut a piece of Ø1/4" steel rod about 3/8" long drilled hole crossways in center of rod... slipped cable through and thourolly sodiered the two together, and trimmed excess cable. Filed off excess sodier and.....PRESTO.... new choke cable, works like new again!!