1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

bridging the carbs for pods

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by 1981xj, Jul 7, 2007.

1. 1981xj

1981xj New Member

I have read in several post here that pods are a bad Idea becuase the inside carbs get starved for air as speed increases. Now onto the question. what if I were to fabricate a connector that bridges carbs 1&2 and 3&4? this set up would only use two pods and equalize the air between carbs, i believe. Has anybody tried anything like this.
    I'll try and draw up a few ideas and post them later.

2. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Yamaha Motors Corporation tried something even better than that!

They found a way to Perfectly equalize the air-flow into ALL Four Carbs.

The AIRBOX!

The Center two Carbs "Starved For Air"?
    No.
    Just the opposite.
    The turbulence created at the Intakes without benefit of the Rubber Airbox Boots or Velocity Stack spoils how FAST the air is moving past the Open Top of the Emulsion Tube ... Not how MUCH.

It's the Velocity of the Moving Air over the OPEN Emulsion Tube Center Passage that Lowers the Pressure above the Tube to draw-up the Fuel from the Main Jet.

Since the Air is drawn directly into the Carb Opening without being confined and allowed to accelerate, less speed over the Tube Top means Less reduced pressure at the Emulsion exit and is a major contributing factor to why the Engine runs LEAN!

3. Donophan

Donophan Member

Those velocity stacks are sweeeeet! I'm sticking with the stocker though! If I need more power I'll take my wife for a ride on a "high-tech" so she'll o-kay the buy! (kinda like how I got this one! lol)

4. Cutlass84

Cutlass84 New Member

I went with the factory style K&N filter in stock air box and hole sawed a bunch of holes in the lid. Seems to work quite nice! :D I liked this idea better than the pod filters.

Autozone can get the filter for an xj650 for about 39 bucks btw.

5. 1981xj

1981xj New Member

I forgot to mention that I broke the air box and can't find any parts bike locally.
    so rather then spend time and money trying to hunt an airbox on Ebay I'm going to fabricate these manifolds. and see what happens.

The design will have me running off two pods and should simulate the velocity stacks that RickCoMatic suggested. i'll keep everybody posted on how things go.

6. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

What are you making them out of?

What material?

7. 1981xj

1981xj New Member

thinking about prototyping with exhuast pipe and see how it works peice it together and clean up the insides to smooth them out. then possible trying it with aluminum to give it a better look.

8. sheeno

sheeno New Member

What about using an oval filter and creating plates for the sides so it can fit two carbs at once? Not sure if it would filter air as well as a Y connection, but it would probably be easier and take less space..

These are probably way too big, and too thin, but something like that...

Attached Files: