1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Jump start with a car?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Iamwayno, Mar 28, 2015.

1. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

The only time jumping a bike with a running car can be an issue is if the motorcycle has a shunt type voltage regulator. The alternator in the car can put out way more amperage than a motorcycle regulator is designed to handle so it can damage it.

The XJ regulator reduces voltage to the alternator field coil to reduce alternator output. Only thing that can happen is the regulator will shut off the field coil completely which won't hurt anything.

No need to run the car though. Even a small car battery will run the starter on the XJ for a very long time before being drawn down. As Manbot13 pointed out you need to let the starter cool rather than burning it up.

Shane_Wood likes this.
  2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Again, I've never had a problem starting the bikes from a running vehicle......

3. donhoe

donhoe Member

I had the same issue two years back, my starter was all messed up inside, I was able to buy a rebuild kit off the internet. I didn't see any smoke, but I'm sure I would have, if I kept pushing it. I usually start my motorcycle that way at the beginning of the season, but since I fixed the starter, it works so much better, even when cold. and now it's even better yet now that I fixed the fuse box.

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

if a bike doesn't start with the battery that's in it, i don't go anywhere on it until it does. Learned that lesson the hard way. It kind of goes along with, don't push a bike down a hill to start it unless your prepared to push it back up

5. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    Agreed - I always ride around the neighborhood for 20 mins and come back home without stopping - leave it for 10 with bike off and then try and start it on it's own. Only then can you almost trust it ;). For the next day I make sure to only switch it off if I'm near a bar. I mean if you're going to be stranded somewhere it's better to be stranded in a bar right?

6. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Mr. Ribo, I like your style. Does this bar we're stranded near have women of questionable morals? If so, disconnect my battery!

Ribo likes this.
  7. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

This is starting to sound like a plan. I believe the bar in question (which I've made up) is full of free beer, chilled-out biker chicks and dodge-ball.

8. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

directions?

9. Iamwayno

Iamwayno Member

i don't know guys....keep in mind, before this happened, the bike started up great! simple push of the electric starter and on it was. quick too. all it needs is some choke and NO revving of the throttle to get it started. just fyi...

10. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

So are you saying it doesn't start now? What kind of battery do you have?

Get out your MM and test the wires where you said you saw smoke - need to determine if they are degraded now.

If you're not then I recommended running an AGM battery - since I replaced mine with an motobat AGM it's been bad-ass.

11. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

How long were you trying to start it up? How long ago did it "start up great"? Are we talking the day before, or was this the first start-up of the season?

Where did the smoke come from? Side of the bike? what components are near by? Wire colors?

12. hogfiddles

I've read back through this again......

I'm gonna go on record to say you're just in need of a new battery. Clean the wire terminals while you're at it.

Dave Fox

13. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

For his car, or his bike?

14. hogfiddles

Neither..... For his watch

Ahahahaha..... April Fools

Good one, Shank....... Yeah, for his bike :)

15. Skwerly

Skwerly Member

Interesting thread. I have always jumped bikes w/no issues. Just did it yesterday, but the rig was off.