1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Where does that wire go?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by scottscheffer, Mar 31, 2015.

1. scottscheffer

scottscheffer New Member

Hi all,
    Just so you don't think I'm a real boob, let me preface my question with some crowing about how I just did a head gasket, valve adjustment, and a few other minors on my 82 xj650 and it runs really decent now. Now that I've got my head gasket done and valve adjustment done I can finally tune my carbs properly.
    But first things first: I can't figure out where to attach the little blue wire for the neutral switch. I took the engine off to do the work and maybe I didn't snake some part of the wire harness properly when putting it back together or something. In any case I end up with the little blue wire down near the gear shift that someone told me is for the neutral switch left hanging. If I touch it to ground the neutral light stays on. But I can't find the spot on the bottom of the oilpan where it's supposed to be connected! Anyone have a picture? Or can anyone take a shot at describing where I'm supposed to connect it?
    Please help - I don't deserve to feel dumb after all this success!
    Scott

2. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

It's not on the oil pan. The switch is in the crankcase, roughly just in from the left rider foot peg. It's hard to see/get to because it's right next to the frame and above the exhaust.

3. scottscheffer

scottscheffer New Member

Fantastic! I'll get down there and take a better look. Just that little bit of info will probably solve my problem. Thanks MiCarl.