1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

I added some dead animal fur and things are better!

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by seedyrom, Feb 21, 2007.

1. seedyrom

seedyrom Member

The weather has been great and I've put a few hundred miles on the bike since this past weekend. My ass is getting used to the XJ's seat, but it's certainly nothing to brag about.

I was in this second hand store today and saw this huge piece of wool. I had been looking at sheepskin on eBay and planned on one day buying some for my seat.

Anyway, I bought this huge queen sized (80X60 inches) piece of wool for $1.99 plus tax. The label says it's pure wool and has the wool symbol on it. I barely got the whole thing home on the bike. I had to ride with my nuts smashed up against the tank and my legs back under me.

I got home and cut out a piece and using velcro tape, put a piece on my seat and took a ride. Wow! What a difference.

It doesn't look the best, but I care more about my ass not hurting than I do what anyone thinks. Nevertheless, I took a couple of pictures of it.

Attached Files:

2. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Y'know - if you get that dyed black no one will ever see it.

3. Gearhead76

Gearhead76 Member

comfort is important, expecially on long hauls,
    Wonder if you could dye it black

As long as you like it that's all that matters

4. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

I have used a sheepskin seat cover for years. Not the cheap immatation ones they sell for car seats, but the real thing. I bought a large piece of it at a garage sale and use it on longer trips. The wool keeps your butt cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Wool is my friend. Some say wool makes them itch, so I guess it's a personal preference. Velcro strips sewn on the under side of it work good and holds it in place for me. I gave a piece to a friend of mine for his bike, and he just dyed it black and it looks great. (which reminds me, I can be doing that now as long as I'm not riding) Go for it!! >PD<

5. g_wigood

g_wigood Member

wow thats looks comforable cool idea

6. WesleyJN1975

WesleyJN1975 Member

You don't even have to go through all that. Go to an apolstery shop (sorry if spelled wrong) and have them carefully take the cover off your seat. Then have them pull up the padding and put a gel pad inbetween the base of the seat and the foam and you will be amazed how comfortable it is and it maintains the stock look that way. Hope this helps.

7. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

It isn't so much the padding in my case, but the wool is better for the sweating issue and keeping your butt warm when you ride in the cold.

8. beanflicker_98

beanflicker_98 Member

huh huh you said smashed nuts.huh huh

9. Sonwatcher

Sonwatcher Member

Oh, man ! LOL ! I sat here and just laughed and laughed as I read your thread :) You certainly have a way with words LOL ! Glad you found something that works. I used a travel pillow for a 400 mile trip. Maybe I'll try the wool next time. I think I'll buy a smaller cut though :)

10. Maximator

Maximator Member

The wool sounds great for your purposes, and doesn't look too bad at all. :)

The gel pad suggestion has me interested for my bike. The PO cheaped out when he had the seat recovered, and they used foam that isn't comfortable after 150km at all. Starts to feel like you are riding on a 2X4.

Any idea on the cost for having a gel pad installed?

11. gitarzan

gitarzan Member

I got mine from: http://www.alaskaleather.com/

I've also heard of people buying some sheep fleece car washing mitts, unsewing them and carefully sewing them together into a pad. The mitts are cheap if you've got more time than money, that would work!

12. Altus

Altus Active Member

Gel doesn't work very well - trust me on this one - it's more of a marketing gimmick.

I'm sure you can get a variety of modifications done to your seat -- the best I've found is a combination - a small air-pillow with a cover of sheepskin - can ride for days on the stock XJ seat.