1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

xj650 key blanks??

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Isaacson06, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Isaacson06

Isaacson06 Member

Anyone have a good handle on where to get key blanks for these old bikes mine still works but the plastic cover has broken and where like to get a new one I haven't been to the local locksmiths yet but I thought someone on here would know best. Thanks

2. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  3. Isaacson06

Isaacson06 Member

Looked around ebay searching xj650 keys and non look like the one I have lol mine has 2 lines down it I took a picture below of what I mean

Attached Files:

4. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

5. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

They used a number of different blanks on each model. The bike that rolled down the line right after yours likely used a different blank. So searching by the model won't work.

There is an outfit - http://www.key-men.com that has pictures of various blanks. You can also email them the key code from your key and they will cut keys from the proper blank. They are tough to deal with, they only work on the weekend and are poor communicators. So if you email them today, you might hear back with a price Monday, arrange payment and the keys won't get made until next weekend.

For my XJ650 the local Yamaha dealer was able to match the blank.

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Start a conversation with user Chacal. He has all of the various blanks in stock. You will need to read the numbers off of the back of your ignition cylinder in order to get the correct blank. If your local locksmith is any good they will have the blanks as well. I find that the older the storefront is the better the service is.

7. Isaacson06

Isaacson06 Member

Thanks guys I'll try the lock smith's around town then go on the Web thanks

8. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

just an fyi, you will find the key blanks chacal lists in the "electrical" section with the ignition switches, about half way down the first page.

FU