1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

cold start enrichment circuit plugged, what to do?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by cheezehead, Jul 4, 2007.

1. cheezehead

cheezehead New Member

hi, i've having problems starting cold. i've run one tank of gas with sea foam, and another with mmo. i have a 1/4 tank, and dumped a whole can of sea foam in, hoping this works. the bike will idle around 2.5krpm with the "choke" on. so it's not totally plugged, or only 1 or 2 carbs are plugged. is there a better cleaner than sea foam? i had the carbs out several yrs ago, and really cleaned them well. i can do the work, but it's hard to find the time. any ideas are appreciated, thanks!

2. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

The enrichment circuit pulls fuel from the starter jet at the bottom of the float bowl. So if the Seafoam doesn't do the trick, remove the float bowls and soak them (without gaskets) in carburetor and small parts cleaner. This will clear or soften any gunk in there and then blow out with compressed air. That should clear them.

3. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

While the Fuel Bowl is soaking ...

Use a Rubber Syringe.
    Fill it up with Carb Cleaner.
    Fit it over the narrow brass tube which extends into the Start Circuit Supply.
    Open the Enrichment Valves.
    Squeeze the whole Bulb full of Carb Cleaner into the Brass Tube.
    Pump the bulb like you'd do with a Plunger unclogging a bathroom fixture.

Fill-'er-up again and just squeeze the whole bulb-full right through the tube and the whole passageway.

4. cheezehead

cheezehead New Member

thanks Rick. i stopped at the local carquest, and they recomended this fuel system cleaner made by 3m. they said all the local repair shops use the stuff, supposed to be better than seafoam. i have around 50mi on a tank of gas, and it seems to be starting easier. i'm going to give it some time, and see if this stuff works before i pull the carbs. i'll post an update if this stuff works.

5. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

You should understand just one thing about that Cold Start Circuit:

It begins ... all on its own ... separate from whatever is introduced to the Fuel System ... in the small WELL attached to the Fuel Bowl.

If the Jets at the Bottom of the FUEL BOWL allowing the Well to fill are clogged ... the Product you introduce to help clean-out the Cold Start Enrichment System ... won't ever get to the Pick-up Tube (Siphon Tube) because the Well won't fill-up with the Cleaner. Only the Fuel Bowl will.

In severe cases ... It takes some work to get those Well-filling Jets to allow Fuel to flow.

That can be one of the most difficult challenges you face when you do a thorough cleaning of the Carbs.