1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

POLL: I have an XJ because...

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by gitarzan, Jun 28, 2007.

?

I have an XJ because...

1. I cant afford anything else.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Thats what Dad had in the garage.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Im too cheap to buy a new bike.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The price of gas keeps me from driving my Humvee.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I like old iron and that classic UJM look.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I like riding a different kind of horse.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Im reliving my youth.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. WarDog12

WarDog12 Member

I wanted a bike to learn on, and a friend sold me the 550 for $300, and aother little bit to get her road worthy. Looks like I'm still on the good end of the KBB.

Did work out well as a learner bike. When I did drop it, I just knocked the rust off some old road rash.

Now that I'm riding it, I enjoy how people are confused... it looks like a cruiser, but sounds like a crotch rocket.

Too bad one guy at work sold his 83 XJ750. Another guy at work has a 82 XJ650, that he did something bad to electrically by putting the battery in backwards.

We all bought them because they're cheap.

2. cheezehead

cheezehead New Member

i got mine from my dad's garage, in 2000. he hadn't registered it in 5yrs, and was a real project bike. i really enjoyed removing the vetter fairing:) i sold it to my youngest brother 3 yrs ago. he didn't ride it until last yr. i bought it back this summer, and sold my 05 vtx1300r. i like my xj more than the vtx for driving to work and back. it's lighter, and quicker handling. gas milage is about the same though. insurance is $150/yr cheaper also, course, it doesn't have full coverage.

3. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

None of those really fit. Where's "Because I fell in love?"

I picked 'Dad's garage,' because I bought it off my next-door neighbor cheap 12 years ago. It was my first bike and I trusted him when he said it was in good shape (it was). I only planned to ride it a few years before getting a Magna or Shadow. Then I fell in love.

It's not that I can't afford a new bike. I just really can't justify one to myself. My Seca does everything I ask. I may one day get a dual sport, though.

I've wondered if you were a fellow aviator by your avatar. But that's no '60 Comanche ;) I learned in Warrior II's a few years ago, but now I'm in a Cessna club. I must say (without starting debate) I prefer the highwings. So, will I run into you at Airventure Oshkosh next week?

4. worm

worm Member

There is nothing like the look of a classic cruiser; style, character, and reliability.
    You can't buy a new bike today that really stands out from all the others