1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Dont know what to do anymore...

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by kalinin, Jul 16, 2007.

1. kalinin

kalinin Member

So i get a new set of carbs....rebuild them using Ricks guides, bike starts, I adjust the idle, idles kinda high but thats ok for now....the bike is finally running on all 4 cylinders....I ride a few miles to get it warmed up....come home....shut the bike off....pull the tank etc to fine tune it....hit the starter button...nothing...taillight works...neutral light works...signals work...horn works....headlight doesnt work....I checked all the wiring in the bucket and the rest of the way to the fusebox...everything seems fine....its the stock fuse box but there is no corrosion or rust. All the fuses are fine....Im really starting to get fed up with this bike....

2. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Headlight is designed to not turn on until motorcycle is started.

Areas to check -

Fuses and panel
    Sidestand switch
    Kill switch
    Starter button
    Starter relay
    Starter

3. kalinin

kalinin Member

I know when the headlight comes on, its not coming on when its suppose to....I checked everything you mentioned....even though the fusebox looks good Im gonna replace it today...

4. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

Stating the obvious, but. . . . is it in gear with the sidestand down perhaps?

Could jsut be your starter button is shot. When I first got my Seca many moons ago, somehow the switch reed had come unseated in the housing. I took it apart and got it reseated properly. At the very least you could take it apart and jumper across the switch to see if it'll crank then.

5. kalinin

kalinin Member

I installed the new fusebox....still nothing....so I went over every wire and connector in the headlight bucket with a fine tooth comb....I guess I must have missed something the first time cuz now it starts fine....only headlight still doesnt work....

6. KBSimNL

KBSimNL New Member

I had a bad connection in the bucket first when I got my '82 Maxim. Couldn't see anything wrong, all connections felt good, but it still died from time to time. Tried starting while tugging on the connections until I found it, replaced the clips, problem solved. Well, that problem ... Have I mentioned my forks? Bearings?

By the way, a worn key switch may also kill the beast. Mine rarely starts after I lock the handlebars, but I don't have that problem if I just shut 'er off and pull the key. Friend told me to pump some rust check in there, but I haven't tried that yet.

Good luck with yours

7. SalCycle

SalCycle Member

Try jumping the main posts on your solenoid. Might help narrow down the possibilities.