1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

i need strength

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by jokidd82, Jun 9, 2015.

1. jokidd82

jokidd82 Member

I probably never should have gotten into this situation but thats in the past.

I hate this bike. I mean am to the point of selling it on CL just to not mess with it anymore. I take a step forward and 9 back.

Who knows what a good yami fj600 goes for. Probably less than 1100 bucks prestine. So far including the pile of $hit i brought home i bet ive nearly hit 2k and i need to order shims again. So many new bits and so much still missing.

Its tearing me away from my newborn and every weekend i think i can start it. Too boot i also quit my job for what my friend dolled up to be what could be a possible partnership in his dads hvac company. Well im looking for a job after he lied about 90 percent of it.

Im not on here to really complain but im having a breakdown. Had the bike 3 years and it has been without a doubt the worst barn find ever.

2. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Slow your roll Jo.
    Your strength can be replenished here.
    This group can make things right (or at least offer you a fair price to take your bike off your hands).

Let's start slowly . . .
    1. What bike do you have?
    2. Was it running when you got it?
    3. Stock power plant of modified (pods)?
    That's it for now, three questions.

Now go pour yourself a nice bourbon drink, have a smoke and relax - things will be alright.

ecologito likes this.
  3. dmlyster

dmlyster Member

I second that opinion. Sounds a lot like my bike .... as I'm not a mechanic it was painful. Although I didn't have a young one for the additional pressures. All the experienced XJ'ers can and will walk you through the problems and fixes. Sounds like you have purchased enough parts, let these guys systematically diagnose and help.

4. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

We're in the same boat, dude, and we're here to help. Ask around... how long have these "projects" been going on for? Personally, I have had this bike for 7 months or so, and maybe if the stars align properly for me, I might get it started before the end of summer. I too have a youngling, and it is important to remember priorities... your child will only be this age once, the bike will still be here when they've gone off to school. Try to remember that the wrenching is a part of this "vintage bike" pastime... it's supposed to be fun. If it were just about riding, we'd all be selling these old bikes and searching for ones with warrantees.
    Stay strong.

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Perspective: Every summer I take care of a project on the house. Flooring, paint, a new door; pretty run of the mill stuff. This summer I'm almost to the point where I can paint the family room. This is the same family room that I painted when we moved into the house 12 years ago.

From a father's perspective....the bike can wait. Do a little at a time when you can. Baby comes first; 18 years goes by way too fast.

ecologito likes this.
  6. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

My current ride is a $200 basket case it took me 2 years to put together. More work than money, though.

7. jokidd82

jokidd82 Member

Its never ran. 85 Yamaha FJ600. Pulled out of a yard for 100 bucks with a title. Engine cylinders had rust intrusion, valves rusted and aluminum was cavatated. Rebuilt the forks, cut the valve seats, replaced the oil feed line inside, measured the crank bearings.....

Ive had to ebay the hell out of it. Im sure it ran at some point but i have no clue when. I had to source a wire harness, correct wheels, body parts, ignition, regulator, new tires, new chain, pistons.... i mean honestly. I need more shims and some clamps and it might start.

But its only making 1:70 2:70 3:70 4:70
    I have to adjust these valves again before itll ever try to start

The starter solenoid is shorted through the switch since theres power on both sides. Ive got a diagram but this thing is killing me.

Ive rebuilt a lot of bikes. This takes the cake. Plus i still need an exhaust and i have no desire to pay 180 dollars for one used and dented. I dont have signals, a horn, air box, grab bars, brackets to brace the front stay...um what else.

I dunno, i locked it up in the shed. Sick of looking at it for a while.

8. jokidd82

jokidd82 Member

Oh and one of my cats pissed on my spider IV amp and driver. So.....needless to say i had to tear down that too. Last night i had a melt down.

9. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

Sell the bike, drink a beer, go enjoy your kid, in that order.
    then shoot the cat

saftie, ecologito and BigT like this.
  10. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Then fry it up with some bacon

ecologito, Stumplifter and Beekman like this.
  11. jokidd82

jokidd82 Member

Ona serious note is there any other place where i could buy an exhaust for less than an ebay price. I need headers, mufflers, collectors. Everything. I have some downtube that i realized wont do much.

I was trying to use a katana 600 exhaust but the oil filter is in the way. I tried welding and its such a small area under neath its just easier to do either an fz600 or fj600 exhaust.

12. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

E-bay has made it to where nearly everyone who is looking to sell parts is able to quickly find out how much buyers are willing to pay. My advice is to put this project on the back burner and keep an eye out for someone listing what you need with a very low BIN price. Deals can be had if you are patient.

13. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

You always come up with the most rational, solid advice........

BigT and BaldWonder like this.
  14. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

Well, you have a relatively rare bike with heavy amount of damage. Of course it ain't gonna be a picnic.

I've given up on a couple of projects before.

15. jokidd82

jokidd82 Member

This has been 3 years in the making. Some stuff on ebay ive watched for that 3 years. Same bad fairings for 120 dollars, same bad exhausts. I can honestly say ill never dump money like this again unless its actually worth it.

Ill let it rest a week or two and try again.

16. hogfiddles

I have been building my ex for three years; My 305 dream for 14 years.... Neither of which run YET. And it may be another 10 for all I know

ecologito likes this.
  17. jokidd82

jokidd82 Member

I did stumble upon one idea for the exhaust. Which i have started in another thread. Kinda hoping i can jack something from a 550, 650, or 750. I doubt a 750 will offer much but really that damn oil filter housing is what keeps screwing things up.

I feel a little better with it out of sight. The garage is a mess and a good portion of my tool are in 2 carts, on top of the box, on top of my 6 ft bench. Its hell.

I think this weekend i'll bring it out and just focus on the wiring. For some reason the starter got goofy again. I bumped it when i got home because i think my new battery is bad and i charged it. Well i bumped it and it turned over nice and fast. Came back out like 2 hours later and suddenly i hit start and the low oil light comes on then nothin.

18. hogfiddles

The 550 exhaust MAY work, the Xj550 and the FJ600 engines are a lot alike iirc

19. SRADkneedragger

SRADkneedragger New Member

Well this may not be the most popular post in this thread but here goes.
    #1 Old Bikes are not easy(pre fuel injection, pre electronic ignition) you have to want that particular bike.
    #2 Old Bike can be difficult/expensive to get parts for.
    #3 is it worth the time it takes away from your child?

Sell it, part it or put it in the shed and forget about it.
    IF you like it, then do what I do, be patient. I see tons of parts I want, and some that I need, but I wait for the bargain to come along, or if it's ultra super rare I just bite the bullet.
    I have several old bikes that are slowly accumulating parts. It has taken 4 years so far to get my 1986 GSXR750 Limited where it is, and I still haven't heard it run since I bought it! The Yamaha RD80 has been on the back burner almost 10 years! 1964 Yamaha Campus 50 get a part or two and its only been here for a year. Patience.
    Or sell out save up and buy you a nice modern 2000ish 500/600cc bike. No problems starts runs stops.
    Just take the time to evaluate what you need/want/can afford financially and time wise.

20. hogfiddles

Well, my time to play devils advocate:

1. The old XJ's are easy.... No fuel injection, no electronic ignition

2. Parts are easy to get ( except the handful of unobtanium parts.... And even then, just wait it out--- they'll turn up)

3. My child loves to ride with me.. Now in 9th grade and has been riding with me since about age 5..... Started riding on the sled with me about age 3

My 1999 intruder STILL has a charging issue

My '04 Vmax still has an intermittent spark issue.

My newest bikes, and my oldest bikes either have an issue or aren't on the road yet----- but my Xj' s a keep right on going, and run circles around everything.

ecologito likes this.