1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Woe.

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by faighaigh, Apr 7, 2006.

1. faighaigh

faighaigh Member

Woe!!!

Could use stronger language to describe things but I know what delicate flowers bikers are.

Took my first ride on the bike this afternoon and am very dissapointed. By the time we had gone half a kilometre she was very hot and tickover was just short of 1500revs. I think that the revs just means a bit of tinkering with the carb idle screw but I'm not happy with the heating.

Apart from that it was ok till we hit a slope then she slowed right down barely moved in second gear and was making an awful grinding noise, even on flat ground 3rd gear was a no no I was told when I bought her that there was a new clutch fitted I'll have to strip it out and check.

Faighaigh.

2. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    Is the engine bogging or revving? If the engine is bogging on the hills then it is not the clutch slipping... If the engine is racing then ok - maybe the clutch is slipping.

Being very hot could be a lean condition.

Awful grinding noise could be from the front brake - common for the first ride of the season. Just check it isn't scoring the hell out of the rotor as pads are cheaper than rotors.

3. faighaigh

faighaigh Member

Bogging? That's a term I don't know Woot. The grinding didn't sound as though it was coming from the front brakes but I'll check it out tomorrow.
    Thanks.

Faighaigh.

4. woot

woot Active Member

Bogging - you turn the throttle but instead of the engine picking up it seems to slow down, sound funny, and generally not do much... really would be easiest to explain with a wav file.

As for the grinding sound - how about some more hints ;)

oohhh - good find here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor

5. Robert

Robert Active Member

Beautiful write up on that link Woot! Loved it!

6. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

Running hot leaves a big question. Do you have a Maxim X and are reading the water temp or is it an air cooled model?

7. faighaigh

faighaigh Member

Thanks Woot that explains it fine.

The grinding noise seems to be coming from the clutch though I was told when I bought her that she had a new clutch fitted, going to open it up and take a look. I checked the plugs this morning and the two left side were pretty sooty but they were the two carbs we had trouble getting balanced last week. She is running hot and she's aircooled, I'm a little concerned that the oil pump may be faulty. Have a friend calling round later so I hope between the two of us we will get a diagnosis by days end.

My wife, who hate's the idea of me and bikes, is having a bloody field day moaning about me and bikes buying lemons and the rising costs. She also hate's me playing"Dixie" by a very loud military band especially first thing in the morning!!!

Think I'm in for an interesting day.

Faighaigh.

8. woot

woot Active Member

Just take thing apart slowly and you'll be fine... :) Don't rip it all apart in a mad dash and find out later the grinding was your footpegs while leaned over ;)

UG with the wife not liking bikes... I had the bikes before the woman and she's ok with them... however she still worries when I go on long distance trips.

The sooty plugs should be addressed before you start ripping the bike apart :)

9. jeff-ski

jeff-ski Member

Another small tidbit,
    Only trust the previous owner's mechanical ability as far as you can throw the bike; Example;

When i first bought the bike it had "new plugs" ...Electrodes were nearly invisible

"new oil" ... upon cleansing, nasty lumpy snot oozed from the drain.

" new brakes" ... pads good, but calipers were installed incorrectly and made a rubbing noise

"carbs tuned" ... the two center intake boots were folded over and half-restricting the air ... hard to see at first

The list goes on but I thought these items may raise an eyebrow for you.
    Don't get me wrong, I like the guy from whom I bought the bike, I'd have coffee or beer with him anytime, it's just...it's just... I can't throw the bike very far

Jeff,

10. Robert

Robert Active Member

"Let the buyer beware" rings true time and again. Sorry you caught that one Jeff. Faighaigh, interesting start to a day. Did she start with a headache or did your efforts start it? Poor lass, I like your selection, but I'm thinking a little later in the day for the less motivated. Slow, methodical dissassembly is in order, you'll find problems much more efficiently and it allows you to think about each as you encounter it. I'm hoping your issues are apparent and simple. Good luck to you! (give my condolances to the poor lady)