1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fork issue (strange one!)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Mrkermit, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Mrkermit

Mrkermit New Member

Working on a fork seal replacement job for my 1982 XJ 650R Seca and ran across something interesting. Broke down forks per guides here on the sight and everything is smooth except I'm not able to get the fork seals out. Well, I figured I was just going to get them out using the internal bushings (I thought there were two) but it looks like I'm missing them. Imagine my surprise where I get ready to bust that seal out and the whole tube comes out without complaint. But on both forks? Perhaps I'm an idiot but I'll also post a few pictures here of everything I see.

[​IMG]

I'm assuming where the there is a slight depressing near the bottom of the fork is where a bushing is supposed to be? This is how it came out. Nothing inside the lower portion as far as I can tell.

[​IMG]

So since I can't use that method, can I simply pry or cut this old seal out? Any help, speculation, advice, or direct part replacement link would be highly appreciated.

TIA.

2. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

No bushing on the inner tube like most forks so it doesn't knock the upper bushing and seal out when you pull it. Remove the snap ring and pry the seal out.

I don't believe Yamaha considers the bushing on the outer replaceable, but xj4ever does sell a replacement if you need it.

3. Mrkermit

Mrkermit New Member

So it's not missing a bushing then?

4. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

If it's got a bushing under the seal then they're all there.

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Actually there is supposed to be a copper plated bushing on the bottom of the inner fork leg, as well as a larger one at the top of the outer fork leg, and both are meant to be replaced as needed.

Nevermind, I'm thinking of the 750 forks.

6. Mrkermit

Mrkermit New Member

Fork assembly went great. Thanks for all your help!