1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Xj550 seca electrical

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Andrew550seca, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Andrew550seca

Andrew550seca Member

Thanks you I will check the stand switch. It was up when I put it in gear, I was going to move it to a new spot so I kicked the stand up and tried to go but no luck.

I'm out now but when I get home I'll check it. I moved it in my yard before in gear, but it had been on the center stand, not the side stand. So like you said it could be the cause of it.

2. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

In that case, a float likely got stuck. It happens. I had that on a bike after I got hit by a car.

This.

Andrew550seca likes this.
  3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

when you first refill bowls with fuel the inrush of fuel and air escaping will cause the floats not to float up and do the job as suggested tap with screw driver handel when first filling

you have a clutch saftey switch as well wiring diagran tells how to bypass if you put your mouse pointer on it
    if you unplug the relay under the seat it will bypass side stand switch

http://frankjohansson.com/stuff/xj550/XJ550ElectricalDiagram.html

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  4. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Air box leaking fuel. Solve that problem first. Fuel in the crankcase is not good.

Gary H.

5. Andrew550seca

Andrew550seca Member

This morning she started up with the touch of the button, took a few seconds to warm up and then she ran great.

Kicked into first gear, release clutch, stall. Then I remembered the side stand switch, checked it out and it was stuck. Pulled it out, worked it back and forth and it moved freely.

Started her back up and kicked into first, release clutch and she moves! Wooohooooo.

Still not completely legal but cops hardly every troll my area of the neighborhood so I may take her round the block this after noon. But man it felt good just going down the driveway and back! Haha

Xythin likes this.
  6. Andrew550seca

Andrew550seca Member

Still some things on the checklist before she's road worthy;

-Valve clearance check
    -Oil chance
    -Bearing check
    -Rear brake check
    -choke cable install (not needed for road worthiness but still needed)

Anyone have any other suggestions?
    Tires are new, front brake is new. All lights are in good cape and function properly, horn works...

7. XJ550H

rebuild front caliper and master cylinder, new brake hoses, head stock bearing

8. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

9. rocs82650

Replace the enrichment cable, throttle cable and clutch cable if $ allows. Thirty year old unlubed cables will fail in the near future. Hope this helps.

Gary H.

10. Andrew550seca

Andrew550seca Member

Would lubing them now have any benefit? I'll have to check pricing, I'm sure the cables can't be too much. My buddy ordered me 1 already I think he said it was only $8 and change. So if the others are in that range I'll definitly replace them soon as I can. I haven't been paid in 6 weeks! So extra cash is tiiiight. That's why I'm mostly just doing evaluation right now to see if I can trust her on the road. Fingers crossed I don't need to throw much cash at her.

11. rocs82650

Absolutely. Use cable lube (auto parts store) don't use wd-40.

Gary H.

12. Andrew550seca

Andrew550seca Member

Ok I'm taking the gas tank off to refinish it, I disconnected the fuel line from the petcock and it just leaks fuel. It my petcock bad or did I do something wrong? I didn't think fuel came out without vacuum, am I wrong?

13. XJ550H

if fuel is flowing with out vacuum it is because you have it in pri position or you need to fix the petcock

14. Andrew550seca

Andrew550seca Member

Yea it was coming out, not as much of a flow when I switched it to the pri position to drain it tho.

Also I'm sure there are threads for this but I'm guessing I need to refinish the inside of my tank if possible because this is what all came out at the end. the container was clean, so all that's in there is from the tank. 20150908_183652.jpg

Also thinking I should replace (not sure the name of it) the float that reads the gas level, it's all pretty messed up looking. 20150908_183732.jpg 20150908_183743.jpg
    Out of focus pic sorry, but looks like the float part was repaired at some point with some sort of epoxy?

15. XJ550H

there are many ways to clean a tank.
    fish graval and drier.
    electrolisis
    phospheric acid will neutral all the rust

16. Andrew550seca

Andrew550seca Member

20150909_143727.jpg 20150909_143713.jpg Found another issue. The inside of the tank is not only rusty, but there's some sort of coating that's peeling off and I can only get a bit out. The rest is still stuck on, but peeled off the inside of the tank in a huge thick section. Can't seem to get it off, there's not much room to be messing around with the inside of the tank

Is it possible to get all this off? It's super rusty underneath it. Must've been peeled off for a while inside. Is the tank salvageable or should I start looking for replacements. I think I saw a thread about using tanks from different bikes, not sure if I wanna go that route.

17. Xythin

Xythin Member

I think I would fill that thing with pea gravel or fish tank gravel, cork the holes, wrap some old blankets around it and put it in the dryer on tumble (I think that's the no heat setting..)

EDIT: And then see what it looks like inside.

18. Andrew550seca

Andrew550seca Member

Dry, or with some sort of solution in there?
    I think I've seen people use vinegar, and various other mixtures that supposedly gets rid of rust. I'm not too worried about the rust, I know I can even get some store bought stuff specifically for rust removal, but I just want to know that all that thick coating is gone...I can't see gravel taking that stuff off if I can't even PULL it off lol.

I'll give it a shot tho, maybe I'll fill the tank with HOT soapy water first and slosh it around. Drain it, then put the gravel in it and give it a spin.

I was hoping not to run into these issues, I was just going to strip and repaint the tank but now it's ANOTHER project.

19. Xythin

Xythin Member

I did it dry when I did my tank, let it break up all the big nasty stuff so you can just dump that out, then if there's not a lot of surface rust left you can just rinse it out with some gas. Mine was pretty gross inside so I filled it with diet coke (for the phosphoric aid) and let it sit for a day. The rinsed it out a few times and made sure to add an inline filter. So far all the gas i've dumped on myself while I did the float levels was pretty clean looking.

20. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Check out this video:

There are a ton of variations on this theme on the 'tube