1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

reasonable value of an 85 700?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jeepsteve92xj, Jul 28, 2007.

1. jeepsteve92xj

jeepsteve92xj Member

Heres the story:
    Dude calls me. His neighbor lady has, and wants the bike out - was her kids. bike hasn't been touched since he died of cancer in 1993. This 85 700 has 17k miles. supposedly looks perfect. Never laid down, kid kept it spotless.
    I haven't gone to see it yet myself.
    She wants the garage space. She is looking for an offer. I hate to really insult her, but by now the carbs will be an issue at least.
    NADA Guides

Even the fair value calls for starts and runs... @ $225.

I dont want to insult, but I don't want to offer/spend tooo much.

the NADA and KBB call for a running bike. Where else to look?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Steve

2. ridz

ridz Member

Smell the oil for gas ...Start it ...Good compression?...If so.. and it loks really good.....$1500 would not be an insult and it would be fair if its a rider..

Ask em what they want and go from there..also is it water cooled or air cooled...keep us posted on this one. wish you could shoot some pics, the 700 are in my blood now....

I know im sic wit it :wink:

~Ridz~

3. jeepsteve92xj

jeepsteve92xj Member

I hope to see it tonight or tomorrow.
    After 14 years, the oil wont smell much of gas anymore, if it ever did. No battery to try. The word was that the kid (23 when he died) kept it mint - cleaning every crevice with toothbrushes and all that.

I do not know if it is liquid or air cooled.
    The NADA guidelines drop quick, and each step calls for the running bike, which this is not. The bike was never parked for storage.
    NADA guide 85 700 xj
    Excellent: $1,125
    Very Good: $875
    Good: $550
    Fair: $225

I've been told that everything is excellent, except it isn't ready to start and run.
    Steve

4. Old-Grunt

Old-Grunt Member

with all the unknowns on bike I would say 300-600 depending on how nice it is

5. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

I'm with Old Grunt, in fact, the low end of his range. Without running you'll have no clue what you've got.

It could be a gem that just needs come cleaning, or it could be a parts bike.

If you're handy give it a try. If you have to pay someone to get it going you're looking at many hundreds of $$ (even if it just needs cleaned up).

If you do decide to go for it I'd suggest you have a chat with RickOMatic about how to proberly go at it BEFORE you ever try to crank the starter.

6. jeepsteve92xj

jeepsteve92xj Member

Yes, for sure making sure the rings are all loose would be a good idea before cranking it.
    I havent worked much on bikes at all, but I am mechanically inclined, including being a mechanical and electronic tech now, among the rest of my life experience.

Along with looking up RickOMatic, Ill take suggestions for a pre-crank once (or twice) over.

Thanks guys.
    Steve

7. capy

capy Member

I paid 1800 for my air cooled over 2 years ago and knowing what I know now, would have gone to 2000 easy. I was able to test ride it though...Very reliable-turning 47000 on odometer this week- no maitenance involved except oil changes, tires,brakes,plugs and gas. Also makes more ponies than the 750. My 2 cents.

8. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

500$ if the title doesn't have red tape all over it

9. kontiki

kontiki Member

I feel that anytime something "won't run" and you can't test drive it, the price has to go way down... you are looking at an unknown project.

The condition is everything and could mean the difference between $300 or $600 but that is the range I would be looking at.

10. jeepsteve92xj

jeepsteve92xj Member

I forgot my camera. I did see the 85 700 today.
    Clean is an understatement. The seat doesn't even show any wear. We pulled a couple spark plugs - It does look like it may have been winterized. The one person who would know for sure is long dead. The plugs are clean, aside from a film of oil. The tops of the pistons have carbon, and a film of oil.

It has chrome instrument pods with white gauge faces. Instead of the curved spokes, it has a pair of 5 straight spoke wheels. Very very very hard to believe: the gas smells like gas - weak, but still gas smelling vs. varnish odor. The color of the gas is OK. The fuel may be as old as 1996, not 93. With a flashlight, I could not spot any rust spots or any debris floating in the tank.
    The license plate sticker is from 1996, and the battery -which was pulled and sitting on a self for all this time - the battery has the 95 dot removed from the label.

The throttle turns smoothly, with expected spring tension, and returns smoothly also. Gonna pull the air box out to be sure the mice have stayed away. So far there are no signs of vermin.
    In the next couple days we will pop the left motor cover and attempt to rotate the crankshaft gently.

I still want to try and low ball the deal, but I feel like $1200 wouldn't be unreasonable now that Ive seen it in person.
    Wish this deal would have come to light back in the spring. Id have saved more than a grand in fuel costs!
    I feel the need ot be calm, yet on the verge of being stoked all at the same time!!!

Steve

11. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

You cannot KILL and XJ-Engine unless you deliberately try to do so ... or, you are so freaking dumb you shouldn't be allowed to own anything nice.

Close the deal.
    Don't cheap any old lady who lost a loved-one to Cancer.

GO with the Good Karma!
    Buy the bike.
    Deals like that don't grow on trees.

I'll bet I could have that bike screaming down the highway in under three days of intense TLC and one 1st Class Carb Cleaning and Tweak!

Buy the bike ...
    You don't need to Low-Ball or cheat her out of anything.
    You're getting a good deal.
    She's getting some garage space and much needed closure.

Don't fogg-up the Good Karma and gits da bad MoJo woikin' ah-ginst yah!

12. Chared03HD

Chared03HD Member

GET IT!! QUIT HESITATING OR IT WILL VANISH!!

13. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

He's right.
    Elderly people on fixed incomes don't balk at the color of money.

14. Stooge

Stooge Member

I'd love to see some pics...

15. jeepsteve92xj

jeepsteve92xj Member

As soon as I close the deal and pick it up, ill take pictures., maybe even get a couple when i go over to make sure we can rotate the motor before hitting the starter

16. MotoMark

MotoMark Member

I'd call it $600 and deal is done! Good luck with that bike man. Sometimes machines are meant to go to the right folks.
    You're not stiffing anyone. You are already performing services for free.