1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Replacement Seat / Seat Covers

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Tony66, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Tony66

Tony66 Member

I need to replace the seat on my '81 XJ 650 Maxim. In looking at different online stores and Ebay the question arises will the seat from a 550, 750 or other models fit my bike? Are there any seats from other bikes which are the same, or do you have to stick to the exact model? I've seen pictures on ebay of different seats taken from different bikes which look quite similar, but you never know.
    Also, has anyone used a replacement cover? I've seen some of these as a possible (and cheaper) option. What's involved in installing one over my old vinyl? The old one is held in by staples of some kind, and I was wondering how are these replacements held in place?

2. Spokes81

Spokes81 Member

If you check on the modified forum there is a guy building a maxim cafe racer that has put a really nice kawasaki seat on his bike. Maybe ask him how he did it and what model it is off.

3. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

I've got a good condition cover with foam for 650 Maxim. I assume you pan is still good?

Let me know if you're interested.

EDIT:

You pull the staples. Staple the new one in place.

4. Tony66

Tony66 Member

MiCarl, do you still have the seat cover? I would be interested.
    Tony

5. smokamoto40

smokamoto40 Member

I had a horrible time with the seat cover that JC Whitney sells. It was for my Seca 750. It wasn't cut right which wasn't apparent until I had tried many times re-positioning it, stretching it (to the point of tearing), stapling it (buy a really good stapler!) to no avail. Fortunately, my dealer refunded my money, even in it's sad condition. Before that, I did take it to an upholstery shop, the guy agreed it was cut wrong, and he wanted $100.00 to fix it, or $150.00 to make a new cover & install it. I ended up buying a used seat through Ebay for $80.00...

6. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Still have cover.

See your PM.

Attached Files:

7. MGM8675309

MGM8675309 Member

What brand of seatcover was that?
    Saddlemen sells a seatcover that fits the 750 for around 60 bucks.
    Plus they have many other models to fit our XJ's :D
    http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_c ... Id=&mmyId=

8. smokamoto40

smokamoto40 Member

It was a Saddleman...good reviews on the JC Whitney website...not good for me, I really, really tried to make it fit!

9. servicewriter

servicewriter New Member

10. Chared03HD

Chared03HD Member

I just went to the local fabric shop and picked up some black vinyl material and streched and stapled.... looks great, unless you like all the stiching....

11. stereomind

stereomind Active Member

I've had really good luck with Saddlemen on my 550... I did shave about 1/4 in. of plastic off the pan in the low spots (those flaps that point down), but the seat looks great and the whole job looks "factory". :-D

stapling was a ***** though. you have to find 3/16" or 1/4" staples and a really good staple gun with lots of kick.

* Edited by Robert- Keep it clean please!*

12. Dispatcher

Dispatcher Member

I found a NOS Yamaha seatcover on eBay for under $50. No problems on the install.

13. Robert

Robert Active Member

Stereo, like you, I had a bear of a time with finding a staple gun that had the guts to put a 1/4 staple into the plastic base. I ended up using a brass drift and a hammer to tap all the staples down flat. This took forever and every other one would bend over and have to be replaced! Arrgg!
    Chared03HD, which staple gun are you using? I tried my Arrow T50 and ended up with a SureShot.