1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 XJ650 WITH STRANGE STARTING MYSTERY

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by BABAKU, Dec 28, 2015.

1. BABAKU

BABAKU New Member

The short version is this. I have a new battery, all electrical circuits are in good shape, replaced starter button. The bike starts intermitantly and runs fine once it does. BUT sometimes when I puch the starter button I get a clicking sound. When that happens I can put the bike in gear and roll it a foot or so front and then back and it will start. What is the problem? I thank you for any and all insights. Cheers.

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

starter amature may have a dead spot on it ,and starter needs rebuilding.
    or your solenoid may be failing.

Have you tried shorting the two wires on the solenoid, the large ones that connect to the starter and battery? to turn it over?

could be the starter button is not working correctly.

you also sound like there are 2 problems.
    1 starts intermitantly
    2 when I puch the starter button I get a clicking sound.

do a voltage drop test measure voltage on battery then watch where it drops to when you press start button and starter cranks.

we may need the long story.

3. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Could also be a flaky neutral switch or sidestand switch.

XJ550H likes this.
  4. BABAKU

BABAKU New Member

Thanks for the reply and the advice. Here is a little more info. I am the original owner bought my 1982 XJ650 new in the crate in 1984. It has 13500 miles . I replaced the start button about six months ago and everything worked fine until about 8 weeks ago. I put a new battery in last week. I had the starter rebuilt at a local shop 3000 miles ago and it has worked fine until about 8 weeks ago as well.

I don't think it is the side stand switch because it won't start with the stand down unless I pull the clutch in.

I forgot to mention this symptom. When it won't start and just clicks. I do the roll back and forth in gear. If I leave it in gear, pull in the clutch and press the start button the starter turns and actually tries to pull the bike forward as if the starter is engaging the transmission.

5. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Including connections and power to and through the original fuse box?

Gary H.

6. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Do you get the same occasional no start symptoms with both the stand down and stand up/clutch pulled in?

How hard is it pulling? Might need to adjust the clutch cable.

Why did you have it rebuilt in the first place? I'd be suspect that there may be an issue with the starter. If you can get a test light on the starter wire lug when it is acting up, you can see if the starter is getting power or not. If the light lights up but the starter is not spinning, off comes the starter. If not, then you have another issue. The FSM has a great starting circuit troubleshooting section. PM me if you need a copy of that section.

7. XJ550H

i had an intermitant starting issue and it was the 3 wire connector under the gas tank near the coils.
    check that the contacts in the connectors are tight and pushed together,

bike should not move forward with clutch in when starting bike.

next time it wont start try jumping the solenoid to spin starter Put bike in neutral

you should test the starter switch

8. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

It is supposed to start with the side stand down, without pulling in the clutch, if the bike is in neutral.

9. XJ550H

side stand is to start bike in neutral if you put it in gear with side stand down it will stall the bike.

10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

^What they said.

The most common way for the sidestand switch to have a fault is after putting the sidestand in the up position. What happens is the switch plunger gets crudded up, and becomes sticky. The plunger then will not return to the closed-circuit condition that is needed to allow the engine to start.

Pull the ruber boot off, and clean the switch with contact cleaner (moving the plunger by hand). You can also test the switch by unplgging it and using a meter on it. IT's also a good idea to temporaraly run a jumper between the terminals on the harness to rule out a broken or corroded wire. WIth the jumper in place you are simulating the switch completing the circuit.

11. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

+1. Key on, bike in neutral and start switch in the run position. I have the same issue. I had to bump my bike to get home from a short spin this evening. Jumped the post on the solenoid when I got home and she fired right up.

Gary H.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015