1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ650 1983 in UK. VIN tracing advice

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by wifflebat, Jan 12, 2016.

1. wifflebat

wifflebat New Member

Hi all
    Another newbie!
    I've just bought a very cheap 1983 XJ650 Maxim in a bit of a state off Gumtree (read: Craigslist) and am based in Northern Ireland (so I'm part of the UK rather than Ireland - politics!)
    I'll try to post some pics below to give you an idea of the work ahead of me but I have a question about tracing the origins of the bike if anyone could help point me in the right direction. The bike came without a V5 log book, though there was an NI motorcycle-sized registration plate in the bag of bits I got with it. Unfortunately, when I rang the DVLA (UK vehicle licensing) they had no record of that plate or of the VIN number of the bike. The VIN number is the same on the right of the head stock, on the sticker on the left of the headstock and on the engine casing so I'm happy that it's genuine. Thanks for the very thorough VIN article by the way...or I wouldn't even know what model of bike it was!
    So anyway, I rang Yamaha in Belfast and asked them about the VIN and they told me that it was an American import (but gave me a year of 1982 which doesn't tally according to your VIN info). The guy I bought it off seemed very genuine and told me that he bought it from his friend who had inherited it from his father who had passed away and that it had sat in a heated garage all it's life. Judging by the layers of dust, I can believe it. The clocks show 5k miles though do not look original but, if it hasn't been registered then maybe that's right!
    I had thought that perhaps it was registered in the South of Ireland but haven't got round to investigating that yet. It may all come to nothing if I can't get it running though and have to split it for parts (which I don't want to do).
    I guess my question is, what can I find out about it if the UK licensing place has no record of it? I know I can re-register it by sending in the relevant paperwork accompanied by a letter explaining it's a mysterious barn find but it would be nice to know it's history.
    I have a few other projects on the go before I get to this one but, as has been stated here several times, I'm going to order a Haynes and Yamaha manual first and do all the basic maintenance procedures first as well as some significant rewiring!!
    Thanks in advance for any tips!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3xu86su1zv4by1p/AABuH1liNrOZTrNUohvXhgJka?dl=0

2. wifflebat

wifflebat New Member

I've just had a look about in the parts bag and have found another registration plate...this time from Georgia!
    Does anyone know if
    7060 ME
    Seems like a likely plate for that location? It also says AUG and 98
    Perhaps it was ridden for 5k in the US of A and then imported to N Ireland to sit unused in someone's she's until I chanced upon it.

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

does your vin look like the following except for the ?
    JYA5N800?CA
    JYA5N800?DA

4. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Don't know about VIN's.

Those wires! :eek:

Got an airbox!:D

Once you get you vin sorted out start a new thread in the Technical area.
    There are a lot of wise folk here who can help with what you have layed out in you carport.

5. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

+1. Welcome aboard. If it's a U.S. import it is a '82 XJ650j Maxim (yics engine). The front end is not stock.

Gary H.

6. wifflebat

wifflebat New Member

Hi all thanks for the replies.
    Yeah the VIN is 5N8004DA
    As for the wires- that was my reaction too! Thankfully he bought a wiring loom off eBay that is in place. Fingers crossed its the right one.
    The deal with my wife was that I sorted out a few other projects for her before I even touch this...so I'm taking that to mean that I can still spend time researching stuff ;)