1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Hello!!

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by BrwnEydGal, Jan 15, 2016.

1. BrwnEydGal

BrwnEydGal New Member

image.jpg I just wanted to say howdy and introduce myself. I'm Lauren and I recently bought an 83 XJ550 Maxim from a guy on Craigslist that tried to turn it into a bobber. It's going to take time but I'm planning to get it back to how it should look. Currently it doesn't start but it's cold here in NJ so I guess that is ok. By spring I hope to have her running.
    This is my first bike. I've always loved motorcycles but never had one until now.
    So hi!
    :)

ecologito likes this.
  2. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard.

Gary H.

BrwnEydGal likes this.
  3. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Welcome! Nice project, you're missing a good chunk of the parts to make it stock but you've came to the right place for know how and parts. 1st piece of advice, get it running well first and then focus on the missing bits.

rocs82650, BrwnEydGal and Stumplifter like this.
  4. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

^^^ what he said.
    Welcome to the camp, your smile will get bigger when you get it dialed in and find the power band.

Did the seller happen to have the airbox?

5. Xjrider92117

Xjrider92117 Active Member

Hey there this is the place to be if you have any questions. Lots of great people and knowledge around here.

BrwnEydGal likes this.
  6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

at least the frame isnt choped off. you need a rear fender setup 2 parts plastic and metal the tail light goes to the fender then the chain box and stock seat.
    put the front forks back where they belong. not stock bars
    its a nice start.
    I see you still have the center stand
    before you start spending money I would recomend doing a compresion test to evaluate the motor
    then ohming out the coils and spark plug caps. as well as the pick up coils
    specs for those are in this link
    The Ultimate Relay, Switch, Sensor, and Diodes Guide
    if you need a factory service manual start a conversation with me I will send you one
    also a lot of good reading contained in this link
    http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/forums/xj4ever-supporting-vendor.23/

spring is coming
    always nice to have another XJ550 rider

when the carbs are clean the bike will start at 32 degrees , i do not see any snow. my last ride was Dec 25

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  7. BrwnEydGal

BrwnEydGal New Member

No mention of it. What's an air box?

8. BrwnEydGal

BrwnEydGal New Member

Thanks! I have the fenders and original seat. I changed the battery. Headlight doesn't work and turn signals are missing. Speed/tachometer are not working.
    I appreciate the info. Was planning on removing the center stand....should I keep it? I can't seem to figure out how to get the bike up on it. It has a side kickstand that was welded on by a previous owner.

9. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

The airbox fits under the seat and would be used for air filtration instead of the current (4) air filter pods that are attached to the carb intakes. It is easier to tune your carbs with a stock airbox instead of pods.

Personally I would keep the center stand. Any work on the rear tire will be a lot easier if the center stand is on the bike.
    Speaking of, one of the "must do's" before riding is verifying the condition of you rear brake shoes, de lamination occurs and can create a serious ouch for the rider. Plus it is a pretty good jumping off point for getting to know your bike and doing maintenance on it.

Check out these instructions:
    http://www.xj4ever.com/rear drum brakes.pdf

BrwnEydGal likes this.
  10. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

in the DIY forum this link on how to use the center stand
    Center Stand Trick for new riders or new to center stands
    you need the center stand to properly check the oil level and work on the bike. so if you remove it save it , 5 minutes to put it on when you need it. if you leave it on make sure it is not hitting the muffler or the chain is draging across it . you have a 4 to 1 exhaust not the original?
    headlight will not come on untill bike starts some times it will come on when starter is spinning the motor.
    it is controled by a relay
    here is a link for a 550 seca the worlds best wiring diagram there ar4e a few differances form a maxim (voltage gauge and fuel gage) it is interactive
    http://www.frankjohansson.com/stuff/xj550/XJ550ElectricalDiagram.html

BrwnEydGal likes this.
  11. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

So if all turns out well with the mechanics and you have a good runner, then definitely consider taking a motorcycle safety course.

Number one priority is knowing you have the knowledge on what it takes to stay safe on the road along with a properly maintained and reliable ride.

Welcome and good luck with the project, lots of good advice already given.

Stumplifter, BrwnEydGal and XJ550H like this.
  12. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

There's also plenty of good members here that live in NJ, as well as those of us in NY. You're in good hands... You have a lot to learn and a lot to do. BUT don't worry, you CAN learn to do it, we're here to help. Do NOT get discouraged. We collectively have all the answers for you.

BrwnEydGal, Stumplifter and XJ550H like this.
  13. wifflebat

wifflebat New Member

Hi and welcome
    I'm new here too - lots of useful links in comments on this thread!

BrwnEydGal likes this.
  14. BrwnEydGal

BrwnEydGal New Member

Thanks! I've had my motorcycle license for close to 10 years now. Just haven't had a bike until now.
    :)

15. BrwnEydGal

BrwnEydGal New Member

Thank you all so much!

16. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Aside from the missing airbox and THOSE associated issues, you bike looks pretty complete, minus the obvious missing parts..... At least it wasn't butchered, so you'll have a relatively easy time with restoring this--- and all parts are available either through Len Chacal at xj4ever, our resident parts guru, other parts hoarders like myself who are here on the forums, or the ubiquitous eBay.
    Any time you need a part, ask me or anyone else here.... I bet we have it faster than ebay does-----
    You can also click on anyone's avatar an the click 'start a conversation' and you can send messages right to inboxes. I'll show you how... I'll send one to you, and all you have to do is click on the word "inbox" to get you messages!

Dave F

BrwnEydGal likes this.
  17. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I don't have much to add, except that the MX bars he fitted are (in my opinion) more comfortable than the factory buckhorns. I can't quite tell from the picture, but it looks like the also used a different master cylinder from stock. The factory brake master cylinder is made at an angle to account for the buckhorn bars, so if the top of your master cylinder isn't parallel to the ground then he used the stock one and it'll need to be swapped out.

18. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

@k-moe: XJ550 (He'll know what I mean).
    Gary H.

19. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Oh ya. Durrr. I R squirrel.

I stand by the MX bars being more comfortable though.

20. Steve M.

Steve M. Member

Having only been here less than a week you are my first Welcome! I hope I did it right. Seriously, These folks know these bikes inside and out.and so far they have even put up with my dumb butt. I will have a bunch of stock parts turn signals bits and pieces from my project for the price of shipping. as soon as I figure out what to keep and what to throw.you really need to explore the site there is a world of knowledge here....

BrwnEydGal likes this.