1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

howto check float level of carb

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Ramon, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Ramon

Ramon Member

Well I like pics. They are easier to understand worldwide :D

Was interested to check the float level. Put a piece of an antenna into the drain hole of the carb. Took it from an old radio. That fits pretty good. On that I put a flexible tube. Then you're done.

Open the drain bolt and see what happens. Your float level will be visible. You need to check it for each carb. You even can leave the antenna on the carb. We are thinking about making a nicer solution on a lathe. Guess that's for the harley ones. :lol:

I will make another pic which shows the whole setup live later.

Attached Files:

2. Sbmaxim

Sbmaxim Member

Never done this before, might check it out over the weekend.

3. Ramon

Ramon Member

Just went through the manual for the details.

The fuel level should be 5mm below from the carb mixing chamber body edge. You need to check each carb.

Before you start make sure the engine is of well temperature. So let it run for a while. This is to obtain the correct fuel level. And place your bike on a level surface. Make sure the pet cock is "ON" or "RES".

In case the fuel level is incorrect you have a minor problem. You have to remove the carb. You need to check the fuel valves and the float assemblys for damage. If no damage can be found you may correct the fuel level by slightly bend the float arm tang. I hope you don't run into a loop!

Attached Files:

4. TTF_DD

TTF_DD New Member

great descriptive explanation ... thanks.

5. kontiki

kontiki Member

great photos ! Thanks!

6. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

My length of Vinyl Hose goes right into the Hole and stuffs in there nice.
    Although the antenna piece was good thinking!

7. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

That loop shown in the picture and implied in the diagram will cause problems if it traps an air bubble up at the drain (Trust me, I've done it).

Solution is to get the hose filled and then lower it to take the reading on the side of the carb.

8. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

Right on Ramon!! Good Illistrations and ideas.

Thanks

9. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

I must say I am absolutly horrified of carbs.
    Worse than a horror flick to me.
    But this sounds like a job for me.
    I assume the bike is on the center stand for this procedure
    My haynes manual should prob show this as well?
    Got to find that book one of these days
    Thanks for the help ramon

10. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Although it's fun to be adventurous, creative, and daring at times, wrenching on the bike is not one of those times......

The ever-popular Haynes Workshop line of "enhanced" factory service manuals cover all major service, repair, rebuild, and maintenance procedures (sometimes in excruciating detail, and usually with many more pictures and illustrations than the factory service manual does), and also includes wiring diagrams and other useful specifications.

HCP1093 Haynes Service-Repair-Maintenance Workshop Manual, for all 1980-84 XJ650 (except Turbo) and XJ750 models, softcover, over 275 action-packed pages, a must-have manual if you own one of these machines. Each:
    $ 25.00

HCP1092 Haynes Service-Repair-Maintenance Workshop Manual, for all 1983-94 XJ900 models, hardcover, over 210 pages, even has a nice color-coded wiring schematic, bless you guys at Haynes! Cover itself is pretty enough to be a coffee-table book. Each:
    $ 33.00

Plus reasonable shipping:

USA:
    Media mail (cheap but can be very slow): $ 4.90
    Parcel Post (7-14 days): $ 6.90
    Priority Mail (3-5 days): $ 8.95

Canada:
    Priority Mail International (3-5 days): $ 9.90

Overseas:
    Inquire by country. Ranges from affordable to outrageous........!

11. kerstingm

kerstingm Member

You are showing putting a tube into the bowl I thought the hose went on the stub sticking out of the center next to the screw. or does this depend
    on what type of carbs you have?

12. RickCoMatic

There are No "Stubs" on some Float Bowls. Their is a small diameter cylinder that the hose inserts in to ... the fit is fluid tight.

Depends if you are adjusting Mikuni or Hitachi.

13. thefox

thefox Member

Does it have to be running? If so does it matter how well (as in no air box boots attached)? I adjusted my height last week with the engine off, my bike will run ok with the boots off and there is no way I will put those boots on unless the cars are staying on the bike (not like I can get them on anyways…).

14. RickCoMatic

No.
    Not running.
    Just stationary and level.

If you have a Float Level Ruler ... you can measure the Tang on any one that is correct and bring the others to the same height in one fell swoop.

15. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

They're actually not that difficult to disassemble and reassemble, once you've done it a time or three. I bought a spare set to practice on before I tore into mine. It's getting them set up again afterwards that can be a real PITA. On my machine, as of late, I've synced, synced again, tweaked mixtures, and something's still not quite right, because the idle's funky... but that's another thread.

16. kerstingm

kerstingm Member

Right after I posted this I saw another thread and my question was answered about the differant styles

17. Energi2er

Energi2er Member

I broke down and bought me a book today "The haynes motorcycle fuel systems techbook" It explains what happens from the airbox, all the way to exhast, including full detail of carbs. After taking apart mine and putting them back together, it got me curious.

Link to the book on amazon

18. RickCoMatic

I hope they corrected the misprint that has befuddled so many using Haynes as a reference for Carb Cleaning Hitachi Carbs.

They misprinted the values of the Main AIR Jet and Pilot AIR Jet, thereby causing many of those who removed them during cleaning to misplace them during reassembly.

When you've just "White-gloved" a set of Carbs and followed the procedure to the letter ... it's hard to imagine why the Bike won't run right ... particularly if you double-check your work and find everything is done according to the book.

Just remember:
    The Main AIR Jet is Opposite from the Main FUEL Jet which is LARGER than the Pilot FUEL Jet.
    Thus, ...
    The Main AIR Jet is Smaller than the Pilot AIR Jet.
    Smaller diameter Metering Port.

I'd go look that up in that Book you bought and see if they got it straight, yet!

19. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

Like Rick said it doesn't have to be running. In fact the carbs don't even have to be on the bike. But if you are checking with the carbs on the bike and the engine is not running then the petcock should be on "PRI". This way fuel will flow through the carbs. With the engine running "ON" or "RES" is fine.

20. Energi2er

Energi2er Member

Actually I havent found anything about hitachi in the whole book, its all mikuni and a few other brands. But they all work generally the same way, I have learned alot about what carbs are all about.