1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

getting started on the project

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Steve M., Jan 27, 2016.

1. Steve M.

Steve M. Member

As stated in the first post bought it kinda Disassembled.P.O.gave up sold it to the guy I got it from.Who kept it in his garage for a year or two and did nothing with it.Sooo I got the bike and a big tub of parts.I sprayed some pb blaster down the intakes hooked up a battery spun it over a couple times it
    wasn't stuck so payed and took it home. Hated the flat black and the cut frame but always wanted a shafty. So today I started seeing what I have I thought the carbs were in a ziplock bag but upon inspection they were in a vacuum sealed food saver thing took off two float bowls they look brand new!!still going through em you never know.Wait it gets better went to drain the oil there isn't any.Removed side cover hello new clutch!! The odometer is just a bit over ten grand and the inside of the motor looks it.Happy dance I'm Stoked going to check valve clearance this weekend finish going through the carbs and maybe start this thing up if the Brown truck brings the air box. The only thing I didn't get with it. It has pods. 20160116_165739.jpg 20160116_170014.jpg I want to thank everyone who has been so helpful and patient with me pictures will be coming ...I smell cafe in the air

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

is this a 650 maxim? I see one disc.
    if you need a haynes 650/750 manual there is a thread with free down load

3. Steve M.

Steve M. Member

Yes it's a maxim.funny story about the PDF I down loaded it about a week ago and then yesterday I found this in the bottom of the parts tub 20160128_201949.jpg

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

It's a good thing you got the PDF. That manual is blurry.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    Stumplifter likes this.
  5. Steve M.

Steve M. Member

Possible shakey photographer

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

coin op magic fingers would be my guess

Bigshankhank likes this.
  7. wifflebat

wifflebat New Member

Doh!
    If I'd had a proper look about I could've saved myself a few notes...to spend on my project that looks very similar to this one. Wires all over the place, a bag of bits and a considerable layer of dust.

8. Steve M.

Steve M. Member

The way work is lately it has become a weekend project. 14 hour shifts tough On old guy.even though PO did a crap job of frame cutting.and sprayed everything flat black. I'm not going to crack on him anymore.he or someone put in a new clutch and set valve clearance All 14"s and 15"s in. and 19"s and 20"s ex.
    the carbs were immaculate. I had never seen vacuum packed carburetors before,but a great idea really.still waiting on air box....over two weeks now
    New Jersey must be alot futher away then I thought it was.So can't try to start it,
    this weekend it's frame fixxin time,will put up some pictures of the carnage.and maybe get some wiring Straight....so far so good still stoked and motivated.but I Really Really want to hear this thing run. A big thank you to the site.without the carb and clutch info I wouldn't be this far along.you guys are awesome.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  9. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Yes, that is a 1980-1981 xj650 maxim

- single disc brake in front
    - 650 maxim gauge cluster
    - 650 maxim handlebar cover
    - non-YICS engine
    - shaft drive

Glad to hear you're going to get the airbox. Send the pods to member " jayrodoh "

Dave fox

jayrodoh likes this.
  10. Steve M.

Steve M. Member

Well life happened.there will be no wrenching this weekend, as far as the pods,they were spoken for already. (sorry). How ever when I do finish any thing left over I will photo if someone wants something I will ship it for whatever it cost to ship I'm talking about lights,mounts,mirrors pegs that kind of stuff.I have done that on the last couple of builds and I think it's good karma or something like that.plus I already have enough stuff laying around getting on my wife's nerves.