1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

death of a friend

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by ROBBY, Jul 12, 2007.

1. redneckzombi

redneckzombi Member

Very sorry to hear about your friend.

2. PSteele

PSteele Member

Robby, please accept my condolences for the loss of your friend.

Last year I was diagnosed with cancer and while my life was considered good - wife, son, happy family, good career - it looked like I was going to miss out on my dream of owning a motorcycle. Through the years that small but important dream was set aside for all the other things that come with being a good responsible parent.

So, after having come through surgery and a year of being cancer free, I knew the time had come to live my dream, regardless of the consequences, simply because no one knew how much time I had left. Cancer can come back at any time and each battle gets longer and harder.

My wife despises the bike's potential for harm while still admiring its design yet she appreciates its style, so she understands at least part of it - she just hates that potential hanging over my head whenever I go out, like a cop's wife would feel. But I love the bike and the freedom I feel on it. I am fifty and feel 19 again, even while riding as if no one can see me. The difference is that at 19, I would not have made it to 50 if I had a bike back then. Now with good judgement and a true appreciation for life, there is a good chance it will be long and happy, living the dream.

I sincerely hope you find your dream, whatever it is and wherever it leads you.

3. rigsby1

rigsby1 New Member

Robby,
    My best friend was killed on his road king on his way back from the rolling thunder rally on memorial day. It really freaked me out. He had wanted me to get a bike so we could go for some rides. He was like a brother to me. Everyone was so surprised when I came home a few weeks ago with a 550 maxim. Your friend would still want you to ride. When your number is up...it's up...where you are at or what you are doing is of no consequence. Ride to live,live to ride, and try your best to live to ride another day.

4. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Member

Robby, thanks for the update.
    Sorry to hear your wife is still taking it so hard, but these things are not easy to overcome and there is no time limit on grief. You get over it when you do. If ever.
    All things considered, you are probably better off hanging up the keys for year, if not for family peace, for emotional healing on your own part. I suspect you have a lot of unspoken emotion to deal with yourself.
    Remember this; the motorcycle did not take your friend from you. Another driver did. One of the best pieces of information I ever received came from David Hough in his book "More Proficient Motorcycling" where he tells us to treat every ride as a combat mission. Believe it. By this, he means wear the gear, psych yourself up for the ride, be on high alert the whole time. I would highly recommend both you and your wife take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course, even if you've already taken it, as a sort of therapy. It might help to put things in perspective, especially for your wife. Good luck & keep us posted.

5. Casey

Casey New Member

Robby
    The the friends I've lost through the years are with me every time I ride.
    I can never let them go.
    James, Glen, Brad.....They have all cruised into the sunset.
    Remember your friend and ride for him.