1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Sometimes I'm a brain dead dumb a--!

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by tabaka45, Mar 19, 2016.

1. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

Got ready for a nice 150 mile ride yesterday and everything went well at first. Bike started on first touch of the starter button, idled well, and I took off. About 5 miles down the road at the first stop light as I down shifted I noticed that the idle was high and when I stopped it settled in at 4000. I blipped the throttle a couple of times and seeing that the idle was still staying at 4000 I turned around, went home, parked the bike, and took the trip on my Honda 750. The entire trip I had visions to having to tear down the carbs and replace the seals, but was hoping for something simple like a binding throttle cable. This morning I pulled the bike out and decided to check the throttle operation first and while watching the throttle connection at the carb I found the problem. When I start the bike I use the choke lever fully open an as soon as the rpm starts to go up I usually set it about half way to let it continue to warm up. This time I started out with the choke lever at half setting and a block or two from the house when I intended to close the choke I fully opened it instead. Yep, that'll make it idle high. What a dumb-a--!

TheCrazyGnat likes this.
  2. BigT

BigT Active Member

At least it was a simple fix!

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I have never heard of anyone doing that before. I certainly have never done it myself, although I do often use sarcasm on the weekends.

TheCrazyGnat and Stumplifter like this.
  4. tabaka45

The worse part is that I had a full tank of alcohol free gas and this trip was a test to see if the mpg increased on a road trip. Some have suggested that mpg would increase 10%, and while it doesn't make sense dollar wise, I'm just curious. I guess I'll have to try next week.

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

There is a difference in fuel mileage when using an ethanol blend (ethanol has a lower energy density), but if you're using E-10 it won't be a 10% difference. You should see a 3% to 4% difference.

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

should have had another cup of coffee before you started out.
    high test gas?
    have you considered blending non ethanol high test with regular gas?
    content side benifit it will increase the octane to mid grade while reducing ethanol
    1:1 10% becomes 5%

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  7. tabaka45

In Brunswick the non-ethanol gas (we call it marine gas) is about $1.00 more a gallon, so it doesn't make sense from an economic standpoint. Since I have heard all sorts of claims about the difference in mileage I'm jut curious and this is a good time to test it. My bike runs well on regular gas so I see no need to switch permanently.

8. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

I did the non-ethanol high test for the last 2 tanks of the riding season and topped it off for the winter it did change the way the bike ran, sounded did not notice any mpg change.
    I keep a log on my fuel and mileage. 48 to 53 mpg swing through the summer

9. BaldWonder

BaldWonder Innocent Bystander

This reminds me of when I was putting my bike back together and firing it up for the first time. It turned out I had accidentally connected the throttle cable to the choke lever and vice versa. So when I started the bike at full "choke" it roared to redline and scared the holy hell out of me.

BigT and quebecois59 like this.
  10. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

Heh. Welcome to my world. :)

Years back, before I got the XJ, I was riding a Kawasaki KZ750 Twin. The choke was a button that one pulled out, had two stops on it. Pulled the choke out to full, started the bike, and rode about a mile or so down to the bank. Got done, back on the bike, wouldn't start. Turned out I'd never shut the choke off -- did that, and it fired right up. (facepalm)

11. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

In 30 years I have never driven with the choke on...

and my nose is growing longer....

12. Lightcs1776

Lightcs1776 Active Member

I did that this Spring. Good folks here set me straight when I posted a picture of the two connections. That is one of those do it once and I'll never do it again things ... I hope.

BaldWonder likes this.