1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Strat's 85 Maxim project bobber

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by strat, Aug 23, 2009.

1. strat

strat Member

Been awhile since I've been in here... Haven't made much progress on the bike as it seems each plan I have compounds into another project which makes it hard to do on a budget.

I fitted my pods but have not rejetted yet. (I should mention that I have not ridden the bike since the pods went on). I do plan to rebuild the carbs and rejet once funds are available.

2. wink1018

wink1018 Active Member

Good looking project. Maybe the next time I go back "home" we should find some PA twisties. Maybe up 14 north. Or Bloomingrove Rd out to the lake. Yes, I grew up across the river from where you are.

3. strat

strat Member

Been a bit since I've posted. Finally got my whitewalls mounted. Still have a ways to go before the bike is back together though.

In the meantime...

[​IMG]

4. strat

strat Member

Been a bit since I've posted. Finally got my whitewalls mounted. Still have a ways to go before the bike is back together though.

In the meantime...

[​IMG]

5. Woje

Woje Member

My bike won't even turn over once I removed my gauges I have the maxim x...did your do this also?

6. strat

strat Member

It won't turn because there is a fuse panel behind the panel below the gauges... Mine won't run without the gauges until I rewire.

7. Xynr

Xynr New Member

Nice build! Really giving me some inspiration. I never did like apes on xj650's, but you really made it work. I love it. I have a few questions if you don't mind though

How did the removal of the muffler go? Did you just cut it and that was it? any problems with the way the engine ran after?
    How are those 650 savage shocks treating you?
    How hard were the tail lights to install? I suck at wiring and generally hate electrical work, was it complicated? or plug/play?

8. strat

strat Member

The mufflers were a matter of unbolting the support bolts and loosening the clamps. Haven't had a running issue with the air box still in place. (Plugs looked great after multiple years with the mufflers off) Will probably need a rejet with the pods.

Savage shocks work well. I had to crank the preload up a bit to prevent any rubbing issues with the seat but the ride is tolerable.

As for the tail light, I basically picked up the correct style terminals that match the factory wiring and the rest was plug and play.