1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Width and height of XJ650 Turbo Oil Cooler

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by 79xs, Mar 31, 2016.

1. 79xs

79xs Member

I'm looking for the width and height of the XJ650 Turbo oil cooler. I found a thread about it, but it only gave the sizes for the 750.

Thanks.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

6 1/8" wide x 6" tall (from the bottom of the lower mount to the shoulder on the upper mount pin).

3. 79xs

79xs Member

Thanks a bunch. My hope is to use the XJ650 oil lines + cooler on my swap. I'm just not able to fit the FJ600 cooler anywhere within the frame.

4. k-moe

Swap onto what exactly?

5. 79xs

79xs Member

It's a 81 XJ550 motor in an ATV. The FJ600 cooler is just too wide to fit anywhere. The 650 cooler will fit between the frame tubes in front of the coils. Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like the XJ650 and FJ600 share the same oil filter housing parts, but the lines are not the same. It also looks like 650 cooler uses O-rings instead of a taper like the 600. So I'll have to buy them as a set, but I might give it a try.

Attached Files:

6. k-moe

I was hoping that project was still going.

You are correct. All of the XJ series use the same filter housing, and oil cooler adapter (where fitted), and different length lines. The FJ uses the same adapter and fittings at the adapter end of things IIRC. You can have lines made to length using the fittings that are on them anywhere that serivices hydraulic equipment. It's a low enough pressur system that you can splice the lines with common oil-line fittings if you need to make them longer, but it won't look as nice.

7. 79xs

79xs Member

I'll do some calling around. I don't know a ton about oil fittings. I'm guessing I would cut the rubber section of the lines and they would crimp on fittings? Are the lines metric or does that not matter since the fittings are pressed? It's Wisconsin. If its metric or doesn't bolt onto a Harley it might as well be an part off the moon lander.

It turns 6 years old in August. I felt it was time to iron out all the bugs. I also found that the standard NGK resistor caps don't do well with water (duh). I'm going to look for snug fit rubber caps and thicker plug wires.

TheCrazyGnat likes this.
  8. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you can do away with the resistor caps if you go to resistor plugs the systen will stay within specs

9. k-moe

You need new caps. The standard ones are waterproof, but only if they don't have teeny-tiny cracks in them from age.

Don't take the lines to a motorcycle shop. Go to a tractor and implement shop. They will have metric lines and fittings, particularly if they deal with New Holland or CAT.

10. 79xs

79xs Member

So the idea is to just extend the rubber lines, correct? or would they also have fittings that connect directly to the rad cooler?

Also, I made the error of replacing the boots 6 years ago with ones that only cover half the plug. What I want are ATV style ones that have rubber going all the way down to the hex on the plug. The ones that make a nice pop sound when you remove them.

11. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Except the XJ550's and the XJ1100's, which are both unique (and different from each other, too).

XJ1100's are unique.

and different bend angles/metal pipe lengths on the UPPER (rad) end, which determine how far "in" (towards the centerline of the bike) the lines orient. This difference, in turn, changes the angles and shape of the LOWER metal pipes (which attach to the adapter).

k-moe likes this.
  12. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Use the XJ650 Turbo cooler (it's the largest capacity) and also get the 650 Turbo lines and then take real careful measurements and do as k-moe suggests, cut them and use an industrial hydraulic hose supplier (local to you) to modify the OEM lines after you have "templated" them via actual test-fitting and 5-6 "measure twice/cut once" iterations.

Also be aware that the factory cooler systems used a double hose-clamp system to capture the hoses at about the midway point between the radiator and the adapter.

And finally, you need to make sure you use some type of support bracket to capture the upper "stud" on the radiator to prevent it from wobbling around. The factory used a small ring bracket that was welded to the frame, and a rubber bushing on the stud, to positively locate the cooler stud.

k-moe likes this.
  13. 79xs

79xs Member

Well all the parts should be here tomorrow. I'll need to figure out a fan+vent system. Anyone have any oil temperatures from their 550s?

14. 79xs

79xs Member

Well.. I didn't have to mod the 650 lines/cooler.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TheCrazyGnat likes this.
  15. k-moe

Well ain't that slick. :)