1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Seafoam vs Gumout: what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by DarthBob, Aug 20, 2007.

1. DarthBob

DarthBob Member

What's the difference, if any, between the revered Seafaom and other carb cleaners like Gumout? Around these parts, Gumout is about half the price of SeaFoam and makes a lot of the same claims. Are most of these carb/injection cleaners just different (higher?) distillates of petroleum that act as solvents but are still combustible/ compatible with gas?

The only additive that has gone into the XJ's tank is Seafoam, based on testimonials from many of the posters here, but recently, when my lawn mower got its carb clogged, it was Gumout that got it running again. I'm tempted to add what's left to my XJ's tank, figuring it probably won't do much harm, but will it do any good? and if so, why pay the extra for Seafoam?

2. Dispatcher

Dispatcher Member

What I like about Seafoam (especially in older bikes like ours) is that it's composition is 100% petroleum distillates. Most other carb "elixirs" contain acetone, toluene, and other nasties. Plus, it just plain works!

3. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

We recommend Seafoam for two reasons, it works and we know it doesn't hurt any carb parts. Remember that there are orings in the carbs that can only be removed by pulling the carbs apart from the rack. While this is something you can do it complicates the carb cleaning procedure to the point that we don't want to overload the basic shade tree bike mechanic. Getting the carbs clean and running is daunting enough for most bikers. Gumout will work and I am sure will work wellm but I can't advise about it's effect on rubber orings or the rubber parts in the fuel tank and petcock.

4. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Member

Gumout seems to be the ticket for cleaning carbs once they're apart. I don't use the pour-type, just the Jet Spray. Works wonders for unplugging clogged passages. The Sea Foam seems to work better for being mixed with gasoline and being run through the carbs (i.e. soaking). (fuel additive) GumOut doesn't yield the same results for me. I'm not sure why; only that it doesn't.

5. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

Actually Seafoam is designed to work with the fuel to clean the carbs. Straight Seafoam doesn't clean carbs brass parts very well. Mixed with fuel it cleans better but still not as well as carb dip. Of course carb dip will eat anything rubber for a snack.

6. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Gumout also will not cure athletes foot, diaper rash or dandruff. :D

7. MNXJ650J

MNXJ650J New Member

I'm also a fan of Seafoam because it contains a fuel stablizer. I do not know if the Gumout product contains that.

8. Stinky

Stinky Member

And really, if seafoam is half as amazing as the claims, $8 a can is a small price to pay.

9. DarthBob

DarthBob Member

Done a little googling, seems that Gumout is mostly kerosene, Seafoam is mostly naptha. So jet fuel or stove fuel.

10. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

:p MiCarl,I disagree it will cure those ailments if you light it. :)

11. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

I see those type products as "quick fix in a can". If I am having problems I'll just make the necessary repairs and forget the band aid.

12. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

I always use seafoam when my bikes sit. I seems to keep the carbs from gunking up (brown film and green junk on the brass parts). I open the bowl screws and get some fresh fuel in the bowls and they fire right up every time. I also use non-oxygenated fuel in my bikes. The regular pump gas seems to go bad alot sooner. I think only a few northern states like MN have non oxy fuel available

MN

13. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Amen to that....ok during a thunderstorm and you just need it to keep going but when the rain stops, time to get 'er done!

jeff